Go Back   Fratching! > General > Pop Culture

Old 10-25-2014, 08:29 PM

No Gravekeeper, it wasn't.

For those watching on Twitter (not reading about it on a secondary source) on day 1, there was nothing retroactive about it.

#Gamergate itself was an evolution of the tag #Quinnspiracy which also was full of bullshit, but also included ethics of gaming journalism. Gamergate hit the 27th of August. Quinnspiracy was around at least as early as the 15th of August.

I dunno.. the level of ad hominem occuring on both sides has been enough for me to not care about the topic in general other than a curiosity. I haven't been a "gamer" since my early 20's. No one's really discussing workable ideas. I find the rhetoric fascinating, but in the end it's a toxic mix of yellow journalism(on the anti side), ignorance (on both), and screwed up people (on the gamergate side). I know why people I generally agree with are saying what they are, but demonizing white male teenagers playing video games honestly already has a several decade old history.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 PM

And even that's not fair now that I think about it, because even in the 90's it wasn't just young white boys playing it. But that was frequently how it was portrayed as the "core demographic."

Old 10-25-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
No Gravekeeper, it wasn't.

For those watching on Twitter (not reading about it on a secondary source) on day 1, there was nothing retroactive about it.
Sorry, but if you think day 1 was on Twitter you're sadly mistaken. The only thing that occurred on the 27th was Baldwin coining a hashtag. The harassment began in December. The shift of focus to corruption in game journalism come about in September. The original focus was to essentially destroy Quinn herself.

Edit: Stop making me say Voldemort's name.

Last edited by Gravekeeper; 10-25-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:10 AM

You're reaching.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy

Quinn published a game in December. She made claims about harassment around that time which were contested.

The Ex-boyfriend thing that 99.99999% of the people who actually use the #GamerGate hashtag are referring to occurs in August.

So again, how you want to spin it comes down to what you want to talk about. I've included Slate.com's bipolar coverage in chronological order for funsies. Do I think she was harrassed prior? It wouldn't suprise me. It is the internet.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._but_they.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...gamasutra.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...proves_it.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...eting_zoe.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...gamergate.html

I mean, if you're happy with it being one thing, that's fine. It's just demonstrably false. Even Slate isn't keeping in straight.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:08 AM

There are 3756 pages of chat logs dumped by 4chan about this that detail the plans and efforts from the get go. They are full of the most horrific things imaginable. The words ethics or journalism ( and they are not calls for either ) aren't even uttered until the 22nd of Aug. After days of death threats, rape threats, rape fantasies about her, doxxing her, planning to destroy her life, hoping to drive her to suicide, hacking nudes of her ( and sending them to her family, coworkers and tweeting them to her ) etc etc etc etc. Quinn's shitsmear of an ex even drops in from time to time to do Q&A's about how Quinn is fatter than the kind of girls he usual dates.

But by all means, use knowyourmeme as a source and assume I haven't been watching this from the get go.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:54 AM

Not really touching all of this mess. Why? Because the second you voice a contrary opinion you are labeled Misogynist or a produce of the Misogynistic culture. However, I will comment on one thing..

Anita Sarkeesian (spelling). Ok, I agree that the rape threat, et al, is horrible. No argument there from me. Anita, however, has other .. issues. Like taking over 100k to do youtube videos I think 2 years ago, and maybe 1 or 2 have been done (LOTS more have been promised). She allows no dissenting voice (for the most part) in her videos. Anybody who disagrees with her is automatically either an evil male, or a female brainwashed by the evil men. So.. yeah.. take that as you will.

It's come to the point where if you don't activiely say, every waking moment, that you agree with everything the feminist says, then you are trying to keep them down. Now mind you the other side is just as bad. You are 'P***y whipped if you don't agree with everything THEY say. So hey lose/lose.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytical View Post
It's come to the point where if you don't activiely say, every waking moment, that you agree with everything the feminist says, then you are trying to keep them down. Now mind you the other side is just as bad. You are 'P***y whipped if you don't agree with everything THEY say. So hey lose/lose.
It's a case of the extremists on both sides being the only ones allowed to speak. The vast majority see both sides as having valid points (though to varying degrees) and are more than willing to discuss things rationally and actually trying to come up with solutions. Then the extremists on both sides or some assholes looking to get some shits and giggles out of setting off a firecracker do something stupid that one or both sides use as evidence of the others wrongdoing and forces the entrenchment.

John Bain (aka Totalbiscuit who has been a far more reasonable person in this than most with a soapbox) put it best:

Quote:
If you're being called a nazi by one group and an sjw liberal by another, you're pissing off the right kind of idiots.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Following it on a message board that's been letting a pro-GG discussion go a long time. (Board itself is officially neutral), and mainly letting it be.

But apparently, the latest wrinkle in this mess is with respect to Internet Archives. GG folk have been using it to capture "incriminating" data (Tweets, websites, etc...) that are later deleted/changed. Apparently DMCA notices are going out now, to make the archive remove that archived data.

Personally, I'm trying to remain neutral on this, and think both sides have a lot of very loud idiots (when I chose to wade in and look at the latest in any case). But one side effectively destroying information certainly doesn't look good. Better to acknowledge it, air it out and be done with it, than to try and hide it. (Hell GG probably wouldn't have happened if that had been done in the first place but oh well).

Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Following it on a message board that's been letting a pro-GG discussion go a long time. (Board itself is officially neutral), and mainly letting it be.

But apparently, the latest wrinkle in this mess is with respect to Internet Archives. GG folk have been using it to capture "incriminating" data (Tweets, websites, etc...) that are later deleted/changed. Apparently DMCA notices are going out now, to make the archive remove that archived data.

Personally, I'm trying to remain neutral on this, and think both sides have a lot of very loud idiots (when I chose to wade in and look at the latest in any case). But one side effectively destroying information certainly doesn't look good. Better to acknowledge it, air it out and be done with it, than to try and hide it. (Hell GG probably wouldn't have happened if that had been done in the first place but oh well).
Yeah, both sides have their share of idiots, but from my view, the majority of the idiots are on the GG side. This cracked article points out the flaws in gamergate (though I disagree with point 3, you don't have to experience an injustice to fight against it.) The only way I see the other side being wrong (aside from the SJW wannabes on tumblr) is the silencing they've done on message boards. But even that could be justified if they were anticipating the kind of harassment Quinn would receive.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageaholic View Post
Yeah, both sides have their share of idiots, but from my view, the majority of the idiots are on the GG side. This cracked article points out the flaws in gamergate (though I disagree with point 3, you don't have to experience an injustice to fight against it.) The only way I see the other side being wrong (aside from the SJW wannabes on tumblr) is the silencing they've done on message boards. But even that could be justified if they were anticipating the kind of harassment Quinn would receive.
And from my view, the majority of the idiots are on the AGG side, though mostly the higher profile people on that side.

If you think GG are the bad guys, or have hounded and harassed and threatened women in the gaming industry as one, then I'm sorry, but you've had the wool pulled over your eyes by the media narrative.

That's all I'll say about the clusterfrak of the the that is GG/AGG, as frankly there are far too many things to look up, pull up and dig out from the past to show you how this is the case. And Frankly I'm exhausted from having to explain it to people everytime I've gotten attacked for being a gamer who just wants to enjoy games, and look at open, honest, fair and informed video games media. And so have many others.