Go Back   Fratching! > General > Grab Bag

There's a Fork in the Road Keep Moving
Old 09-20-2016, 06:16 AM

Default There's a Fork in the Road Keep Moving

In one week will be my 36th birthday. I am broke living with family and have, had, no future.

No there's a fork in the road. A huge one.

A custodian position at one of the local high schools opened up. These are not the kind of jobs that open often decent government job with a decent wage. It's a long term job that could take good care of me. It will be hard work and I applied.

It's not the only path though.

The second one is the result of ten years of busting my ass in call centers. While friends did college, marriage etc. I busted my ass.

Today a Shipping Brokerage firm with a good reputation and a legit job possibility contacted me to tell me about the job and told me flat out asked me to apply. Normally they prefer a college degree but they will make an exception and are making one for me. The base pay is 10 grand more a year than I have ever made.

After 5 months I would get commissions from the accounts I create and manage. Basically I would be Jim Halpert from the office.

It's in the city I grew up in. An old friend is willing to put me up for 2-3 months until I can get a place with my pay. Earnings potential for the job is up at 100,000 for a guy who dropped out of college that's Wow.

But I know who I would be. I would be a shark. I always have had that side of myself. I probably deep down know what I should do but for the first time in a long time. I have hope, I have respect, I have dignity.

Either job offers a good life but a very different life. I don't have anyone in my life right now that restricts where I live. My daughter will be close to where I live no matter which place I choose.

I guess my question is what you guys do? How would you decide? What would be your deciding factor.

What's important here?
Smartass

Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 AM

I'm just seeing this now (haven't been back in Fratching for long). What did you decide?