Go Back   Fratching! > General > Grab Bag

Why aren't there any "...and daughters" businesses???
Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 AM

Default Why aren't there any "...and daughters" businesses???

I'm curious about this. I've seen several businesses that are "<whoever> and son(s)", but I don't think I've ever seen "<whoever> and daughters".

I've been curious about it. Is that just something people don't do?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:08 PM

There are (e.g.:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_%26_Daughters) just not as common.

Probably because sons were more often expected to follow the family´s business. While a large percentage of women were expected to either be homemakers or help with their husband´s family´s business.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 AM

Honestly I don't think there should be. I think daughters should totally be partners in their father's businesses if they want to but I don't think the & daughters or & sons for that matter should be a thing.

It reeks of nepotism. Having your actual name on the business says "I earned this I worked hard I learned I earned this" having & Son/Daughter screams "My daddy gave this to me"

I think though that people would treat women more like that than Men. Men would still be respected for having "earned their place" women the assumption would be there by asshats that they hadn't earned it.
Smartass

Old 08-16-2017, 01:05 AM

One of my grand-sons is James Robert IV, my dad was the III, one of my grand-daughters is directly named for her paternal grand-mother who is also named for her grand-mother wouldn't that make my grand-daughter III and her GM Jr.? Why do you never see Jr. attached to a girl???

Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 AM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanasi View Post
Why do you never see Jr. attached to a girl???
I actually did see one in my ex's high school yearbook.
--- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
I actually did see one in my ex's high school yearbook.
West Virginia???

Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 AM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
West Virginia???
No, Pennsylvania. The state where I live.
--- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
One of my grand-sons is James Robert IV, my dad was the III, one of my grand-daughters is directly named for her paternal grand-mother who is also named for her grand-mother wouldn't that make my grand-daughter III and her GM Jr.? Why do you never see Jr. attached to a girl???
1) strictly speaking, generational numbers should only be used when the entire name is identical, and it's more common for daughters to have a different middle name
2) Jr is used only for parents- anything more distant is II
3) there was usually the expectation of daughters marrying, so they rarely bothered with generational naming.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_stabeler View Post
3) there was usually the expectation of daughters marrying, so they rarely bothered with generational naming.
That actually makes a lot of sense even today taking the husband's name is the common practice so upon adulthood the Jr girl would no longer have the same name.

Even if she hyphenates. It's actually a complex situation. If the wife doesn't take the last name what surname do the kids get do they hyphenate their parents names?

My Step-Sister and her Husband had a creative solution for this problem instead of her taking his name or him taking hers they decided to choose a new surname.

I am not sure taking a Japanese Surname (they are both of European Descent those kind of people that think our culture is shit and only Japanese culture is good) was the best idea as any kids they have are going to get the "oh are you adopted?" and then have to explain "No my parents are white people that took a Japanese Surname"
Smartass

Old 08-21-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_stabeler View Post
1) strictly speaking, generational numbers should only be used when the entire name is identical, and it's more common for daughters to have a different middle name
2) Jr is used only for parents- anything more distant is II
Generally numericals do follow directly in our family it doesn't. An oddity in my family the names are the same generation to generation. My grandson isn't the only James Robert in his generation, he has a 2nd cousin twice removed with the same name. His father is also James but different middle name. Come to think of it six straight generations of James. Anyways we call him Jamie he's a sweet boy.