Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 AM

I agree. While there is no excuse for sexual assault, which should always be reported to the police, there have been quite a lot of people coming up in the #metoo movement with nothing more than off-color jokes or stupid comments reported without context. If people keep throwing bad feelings when being asked out by a coworker into the same discussion as actual sexual assault or rape, the topic will just keep getting watered down.

Others happened so long ago that it's impossible to ever clear up what did or didn't happen. One German TV personality, approaching 60 now, recently claimed that her first boss strongly implied he'd be expecting sexual favors to give her interesting assignments when she started out in TV in her twenties - sometime in the early to mid eighties. The man she named as the guilty party has been dead for a decade, the superior she claims dismissed her complaints for even longer, and several others she claims were involved profess no knowledge of the events.

What's the point in publicly accusing someone who's been dead for years? If she'd just given a general account of the issues she faced, something for the current generation of women in TV to learn from, I could get behind that. But smearing someone who cannot defend himself anymore? That's just distasteful.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
Your employer is not the legal system and they do, in most cases, have full rights to fire you over some bullshit allegation if they so choose, regardless of whether or not you are later acquitted in a court of law.
That's exactly it. Just about every employer has some legalese document about employee conduct. Said conduct usually has a clause about how sexual harassment is a problem...and won't be tolerated. They are well within their rights to fire you, even if you do get acquitted. Severe consequences, but they have their reputations to think about.

Quote:
It was more than just one victim and one random allegation.
I'm sure there's a lot that was going on behind the scenes for years. If it was just one victim, it would have been all "OK, maybe they don't get along and she's trying to ruin him." But to have multiple victims, and have their stories match up? That's something else entirely.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Slatestarcodex has an interesting article on the gendering of sexual harassment.

But there’s also a deeper issue. Suppose I write about how we need to do more to support the victims of terrorism. Sounds good. But what if I write about how we need to do more to support the Christian victims of Muslim terrorism? Sounds…like maybe I have an agenda. If I write story after story about how Christians need to be on the watch out for Muslim terrorists, but Muslims need to be on the watch out for other Muslims being terrorists, and if I tell Muslim victims of Christian terrorism to stay silent because that’s not “structural oppression” – then that “maybe” turns to “obviously”. This is true even if the numbers show terrorists are disproportionately Muslim.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 AM

So... a Republican politician accused of molesting his son's girlfriend denied the allegations, and committed suicide later.

Johnson's accuser actually contacted the authorities, but the case was closed. Why?

According to the same court documents, the case was eventually closed, due to the alleged victim's refusal to cooperate as she was "very busy" during her senior year of high school and "just didn't have time."

Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 PM

that...could go either way. It's certainly entirely possible she was that busy- I remember when I was in my country's equivalent, I was busy enough it was hard to think about anything else- but it certainly sounds off.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM

And while we‘re on the topic of people who are horrible:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattbinde...20629495001091

Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Is Matt Binder supposed to be anyone or relevance and/or importance..you know, besides obviously being your run of the mill, cookie cutter, facebook/twitter idiot?

Old 12-15-2017, 06:14 AM

No idea. I just came across this random act of horrible, and I needed to share.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:41 PM

And you are being kind by just using the word horrible...I don't understand some people at all.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:35 PM

Neither do I.

But, on more interesting news: another politician stumbles over sexual harassment allegation. This time it was over a 2005 lawsuit from a former subordinate. A lawsuit the plaintiff later dismissed following a settlement. But the DCCC apparently finds that reason enough to withdraw any support of the candidate:

“Members and candidates must all be held to the highest standard. If anyone is guilty of sexual harassment or sexual assault, that person should not hold public office,” DCCC spokeswoman Meredith Kelly said in a statement provided to The Hill.

Of course, the candidate isn't too thrilled about that:

“In its rush to claim the high ground in our roiling national conversation about harassment, the Democratic Party has implemented a zero tolerance standard,” Ramsey said in a statement.

“For me, that means a vindictive, terminated employee’s false allegations are enough for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) to decide not to support our promising campaign. We are in a national moment where rough justice stands in place of careful analysis, nuance and due process.”

It's almost like taking accusations at face value without considering actual guilt or innocence has huge potential for abuse.