Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Hundreds Come Forward Seeking To "Detransition" After Gender Reassignment
Old 10-05-2019, 11:40 PM

Default Hundreds Come Forward Seeking To "Detransition" After Gender Reassignment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAumOcIh1c

Old 10-06-2019, 07:37 PM

How is that any different than someone having a nose job and then wanting their old nose back a few years later?

Old 10-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcul View Post
How is that any different than someone having a nose job and then wanting their old nose back a few years later?
It's a huge difference! A nose job is not nearly as intensive as switching your body to match your gender! That takes years, hormones and the possibility of multiple surgeries. And therapy to make sure you are good with the choice so you don't regret it later.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom_goddess View Post
It's a huge difference! A nose job is not nearly as intensive as switching your body to match your gender! That takes years, hormones and the possibility of multiple surgeries. And therapy to make sure you are good with the choice so you don't regret it later.
My point was that we all do things we regret.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcul View Post
My point was that we all do things we regret.
Oh well yeah that is a valid point. You would think something this intensive would be done without regrets, since there are so many requirements including therapy.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:26 PM

It's worth noting that most cases of regrets are "not happy as the opposite gender either", not "actually, I think I am my original gender after all"- there is a difference.

It's also nowhere near a majority of cases anyway.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:35 PM

When I was growing up there were stereotypical feminine traits and masculine traits. I had both but I was socialized male. At a certain point, I came to realize I just had to be comfortable with myself because people are fucking crazy and their corrections had little to do with me, much to do with them. I haven't gotten the impression in the last 15 years we've expanded what's available for men in terms of traits so much as reassigned whether or not we value those traits at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of those people "not happy with either" sort of ran into the same thing - they've been sold a basket of goods that are bullshit and now having experienced both and felt limited by both they're at the "what now?" phase. I support transgender people and their right to be seen and recognized, but I don't follow that every person that identifies did so for the right reasons. Life is just too messy. The difference between them and someone else is how much they changed about themselves to fit those narrow definitions.

Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 10-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if many of those people "not happy with either" sort of ran into the same thing - they've been sold a basket of goods that are bullshit and now having experienced both and felt limited by both they're at the "what now?" phase. I support transgender people and their right to be seen and recognized, but I don't follow that every person that identifies did so for the right reasons. Life is just too messy. The difference between them and someone else is how much they changed about themselves to fit those narrow definitions.
That's part of the problem with "transitioning", isn't it? Especially with the whole "there's 400 genders!" thing. You can literally only transition from "male" to "female" (i.e. sex) and/or vice versa.

This is a long-ass list of "genders" that I found via a search:

https://www.wattpad.com/341462536-co...te-list-of-all

Tell me every one of these is "real". How is that even possible?

And you can't transition from one to another. A "transitioning" person can only, by definition, transition their sex.

You can't really tell me it's possible to "transition" from one "gender" on that site to another. Most of them sound made up anyway.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 PM

Why would I tell you that? The link you gave me literally has this blurb:
Quote:
Since you wattpad folks seem to have the collective intelligence of a turkey, I have put this here in order to tell all you monkeys that this book is in no way an accurate representation of anything, and exists purely for comedic purpouses (sic)
I tend to recognize male, female, and genderqueer which to my understanding has people who try to blend both. There may be people who've written a screed in support of more than that, but I haven't gotten to that stuff yet. I'm not being an asshole, I just have things to do and it's really never come up. Peer groups are a thing.

My main thing with transition is, it's a surgical procedure and like any surgery no matter how sure you are at the time, you could still be wrong.

I can have back surgery for back pain - that makes it worse. I could have knee surgery - that makes it worse. I can have corrective surgery - that I die from.

So I have a lot of sympathy for people if they determine after gender confirmation surgery that it doesn't feel right. But at the end of the day, I still think the libertarian view is best on this - let people live their lives, respect them as humans and move on. You can't save people from decisions they'll regret. All you can do is be there for them if they ask, help if needed, and try not to make their life or your own life worse.

Old Today, 07:26 AM

Do you do anything except link this youtube channel? You're linking a video about an article about a single person making this claim which the article notes and I quote:

Quote:
There is currently no data to reflect the number who may be unhappy in their new gender or who may opt to detransition to their biological sex.
Despite the claim of "hundreds" of people coming to her wanting to "de-transition" and "desist" she has mustered all of 36 patrons on patreon. She would also very much like you to donate to her paypal.

While the one person interviewed aside from her lays her problem at the feet of a misdiagnosis.