Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #11  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
Do you do anything except link this youtube channel?
Simple yes or no question: Do you think the person in the video is lying?
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 10-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Simple yes or no question: Do you think the person in the video is lying?
That is a disingenuous question but I assume you are fully aware of that.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
That is a disingenuous question but I assume you are fully aware of that.
You made the assumption, not me.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 10-21-2019, 02:17 AM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
You made the assumption, not me.
You're quoting what I said to repeat what I said? Or is there a different and more unclear point you're trying to make? I can elaborate if you need me too?

You asked a question in bad faith. I presume so that you could grandstand an argument on it regardless of which way I answered. When the premise of the question itself is disingenuous. Whether or not your Youtube talking head is lying is irrelevant to the argument I made.

Lying also implies self awareness as opposed to just ignorance. The argument you put forward hinges on a single unsubstantiated claim made by a single person without any evidence. That was then picked up by your favourite Youtube mouth piece as evidence in and of itself.

If you wish to make a viable argument here then provide evidence to back up your claim instead of just using someone else's words as your argument.

Is this youtube video and the article it's based on really all the evidence you have of this claim? If so, you don't have an argument and are just barking into the void of this dead website. As usual.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 10-21-2019, 12:18 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
You asked a question in bad faith.
Yeah? Prove it. What evidence do you have to support that assertion? As the expression goes, "put up or shut up".

Quote:
Whether or not your Youtube talking head is lying is irrelevant to the argument I made.
No, it isn't. And by the way, Tim Pool isn't Conservative at all. Watch several of his videos. You might be surprised at where he stands on a lot of things.

Quote:
Lying also implies self awareness as opposed to just ignorance.
Sure. But that wasn't the question.

Quote:
The argument you put forward hinges on a single unsubstantiated claim made by a single person without any evidence.
You mean, exactly like yours? Because that's exactly what you just did.

Quote:
That was then picked up by your favorite Youtube mouth piece as evidence in and of itself.
I enjoy Tim Pool's videos, for sure, but I wouldn't call him a "mouthpiece" (especially for Conservatives) in any way as far as "mainstream" thought. He provides his opinion and thoughts on articles.

Quote:
Is this youtube video and the article it's based on really all the evidence you have of this claim? If so, you don't have an argument and are just barking into the void of this dead website. As usual.
Never stopped you guys from using one article and/or one video as evidence of a claim. I'll remember to ask for multiple sources next time.

Why the anger and hate?

You do know you have the freedom to not participate, right?

Last edited by mjr; 10-21-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,909
Default

I see you've moved on to projection and acting like the victim. Your methodology is so completely overused and worn out by the "right" in the Trump era that frankly it's kind of quaint to be honest.

I can always come back to this website to remind myself of simpler times. -.-


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Yeah? Prove it. What evidence do you have to support that assertion? As the expression goes, "put up or shut up".
Explain how your question was relevant then. My point was this all hinges on a completely unsubstantiated claim for which there is no evidence. Even the article being used to make your argument highlights this fact. You obviously can present no evidence to the contrary so you asked an irrelevant question.

Whether or not your youtube talking head is lying doesn't matter. I neither questioned nor really give a shit what his motivations are. They don't matter to the problem with the argument. Your question serves no purpose save to try and change the topic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
No, it isn't. And by the way, Tim Pool isn't Conservative at all. Watch several of his videos. You might be surprised at where he stands on a lot of things.
Not familiar with him but some cursory research reveals that for someone that is supposedly not a conservative he repeats quite a number of alt right talking points.

Ah, I see. He's a "centrist". <cough>



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
You mean, exactly like yours? Because that's exactly what you just did.
Keep going. You've almost hit right wing bingo.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
I enjoy Tim Pool's videos, for sure, but I wouldn't call him a "mouthpiece" (especially for Conservatives) in any way as far as "mainstream" thought. He provides his opinion and thoughts on articles.
I see a festering pile of clickbait video titles and a history of dubious associations with idiots and white nationalists. I can see why you like him~



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Never stopped you guys from using one article and/or one video as evidence of a claim. I'll remember to ask for multiple sources next time.
Oh, I think that's a bingo. Sweet! Free soda.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Why the anger and hate?
If that's really what you got out of my posts you have a questionably low emotional intelligence.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
You do know you have the freedom to not participate, right?
I mean, I can go back to letting you bark into the void if you want. If you need to be alone just say so. Everybody needs some alone time now and then.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 10-22-2019, 01:05 AM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
I see you've moved on to projection and acting like the victim. Your methodology is so completely overused and worn out by the "right" in the Trump era that frankly it's kind of quaint to be honest.

I can always come back to this website to remind myself of simpler times. -.-
Ooooh! Such a BIG man! I'm sure you think you're t he smartest guy in every room you're in, also.

You said I asked a question in bad faith. Prove it. That's quite the assumption. You''re a daisy if you do.

And if we're being frank, I honestly don't care what your opinion of me is. There is no "acting like a victim". I'm stating fact.

And if you think I'm some kind of Trump supporter, you're likely not as smart, or informed as you think you are. And it shows how little you actually know about me.


Quote:
Explain how your question was relevant then. My point was this all hinges on a completely unsubstantiated claim for which there is no evidence. Even the article being used to make your argument highlights this fact. You obviously can present no evidence to the contrary so you asked an irrelevant question.
How often do you read news based upon unsubstantiated claims? The point is, if the claim is unsubstantiated, you can either believe it or not. This thread WAS on the rails until YOU commented

And I think the question was relevant, because I don't think you believe the person in the article. I think that you think they're lying. So I asked what you thought. Simple.


Quote:
Not familiar with him but some cursory research reveals that for someone that is supposedly not a conservative he repeats quite a number of alt right talking points.
And why is that? Because he says stuff you disagree with (like I do)? He holds a lot of positions I disagree with, too. I'm not angry with the guy for holding the positions he does. He rips Republicans a lot, too. And many of his points when he does so are valid.

Quote:
Keep going. You've almost hit right wing bingo.



Quote:
I see a festering pile of clickbait video titles and a history of dubious associations with idiots and white nationalists. I can see why you like him~
There you go, making assumptions again. Trying to play "Mr. Holier Than Thou".


Quote:
If that's really what you got out of my posts you have a questionably low emotional intelligence.
Why? Because I'm right and you don't want to admit it? My emotional intelligence is just fine, thanks.

Quote:
I mean, I can go back to letting you bark into the void if you want. If you need to be alone just say so. Everybody needs some alone time now and then.
As I said before, this thread had SOME comments, and was on topic, until YOU popped in.

But I'm gonna be the bigger MAN and step away. I'll even let YOU have the last word. I promise. I'll sleep well tonight knowing that I don't care what you think of me, and that it drives you nuts.

Insult away! It won't be the first time you've insulted me, and it won't be the last. You know it's true.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 AM
MadMike's Avatar
MadMike MadMike is offline
Heavy Metal Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enola, PA
Posts: 1,003
Default

OK, enough with the personal attacks. "Dead board" or not, there are still rules here, and I'm still here to enforce them. Stick with the topic, stop with the personal attacks, or I will shut this thread down.

I'm so not in the mood for this shit.
__________________
--- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 10-22-2019, 05:19 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
OK, enough with the personal attacks. "Dead board" or not, there are still rules here, and I'm still here to enforce them. Stick with the topic, stop with the personal attacks, or I will shut this thread down.

I'm so not in the mood for this shit.
I have no problem with that, MadMike.

I don't look at it as my problem, though.

I extend the respect I'm given. By default I usually extend a certain level of respect. I stick with that until things change.

It's why these things don't happen between myself and most of the other posters on here.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
I have no problem with that, MadMike.
I don't look at it as my problem, though.

I extend the respect I'm given. By default I usually extend a certain level of respect. I stick with that until things change.

This thread was not really on track. You had two people add a pretty important footnote. Then you tried to use a satirical article as fact which you were corrected on.

I did freely criticize you for making a topic that was nothing but a link as that is generally frowned upon for discussions. It's a fair criticism far as I am concerned. You didn't take any position or make any point on what you were linking. You just linked a video.

After that, I called out the source as having a pretty obvious flaw as "evidence". You tried to switch the topic off of the burden of truth of the claim and whether or not I believed the person in your video was "lying". I called that out as being disingenuous because the alternative is that you actually thought that was relevant to the problem. When, indeed, it was not relevant whatsoever.

Thus I presumed, based on past experience with how you behave and argue on these forums, that you wanted me to answer that disingenuous question so you could change the topic to some sort of tired gotcha attempt.

I then laid it down on you again to provide evidence of your claim. Simple as that. This is your topic and you used that link as your entire argument. Ergo this is your claim. The burden of proof is on you. Full stop. Not me nor anyone else. You said it, you need to back it up. But you wanted to go off the rails and off the rails we did go.

Instead of simply offering evidence you instead chose to go off on a tired and honestly childish "u mad bro?" style diatribe the likes of which you can see near everywhere on the internet. You tried to change the topic, again, off the burden of proof of your own argument and on to me in a "I know u r but what am I" argument. I answered in kind per your own "extent the respect you receive" rule.

You cannot support your own argument. You argued in bad faith. You utilized forum behaviour more at home with teenage /pol/ trolls than reasoned discussion. I mean you straight up resorted to posting memes rather than simply providing the evidence requested.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
It's why these things don't happen between myself and most of the other posters on here.
If that were actually true you would not have to position arguments in the tone of "You liberals-". Let's not pretend that you haven't had dust ups with other posters here over the years.

Last edited by Gravekeeper; 11-07-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.