Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

Old 02-24-2021, 04:13 AM

Limbaugh was a vile and loathsome specimen during his lifetime, and his being dead doesn't change that one whit.

He was happy to celebrate people dying of AIDS. I'm happy to celebrate his being dead. Of anything.

And thanks, victory sabre, for automatically assuming that no leftists regard any of your self-attributed sterling qualities as virtues. Definitely a Limbaugh follower there.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 AM

I've seen several articles that blame Rush for significant contributions to the toxic political environment that we currently live in. Those articles resonated with me. He was either a total psychopath who believed the hate that he spewed, or he was a cynical opportunist who would say horrible things because it would make him money.

He also leaned hard on the "well the REAL victims here are white conservative protestant men". Anyone who wasn't one of those, or didn't fawningly support those people, was worthy of contempt and was mercilessly mocked. He also didn't care at all about telling the truth.

Ironic that for years he claimed that smoking didn't kill, and yet he was killed by lung cancer from smoking. Maybe he listened to early Ayn Rand, who insisted the same thing, and ignored that she got surgery for lung cancer. (And never talked about smoking after that.)

To use a phrase from Clarence Darrow (often misattributed to Mark Twain), "I would not wish death on anyone, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

Old 02-24-2021, 06:44 PM
Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut Pants View Post
He was either a total psychopath who believed the hate that he spewed, or he was a cynical opportunist who would say horrible things because it would make him money.
Those are not mutually exclusive. The fact that ignorance, bigotry, and stupidity are marketable in America speaks volumes.

But I do feel very bad for the cancer, to be infected by Limbaugh.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Those are not mutually exclusive. The fact that ignorance, bigotry, and stupidity are marketable in America speaks volumes.
Grifting is it's own cottage industry within conservative politics. Trump's entire presidency was a grift. Starting culture wars is grossly profitable.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:57 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
Grifting is it's own cottage industry within conservative politics. Trump's entire presidency was a grift. Starting culture wars is grossly profitable.
And that has poisoned America. Not that the USA was perfect before, but spewing Two Minutes Hate (more like Hours of Hate) on the airwaves has really made our society toxic. Instead of working together and treating each other like fellow human beings, there's all this racism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, just plain xenophobia everywhere you look.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 PM

To anyone complaining about the lack of respect Limbaugh's death is getting, we're showing the same level of respect he gave in life.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:08 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
To anyone complaining about the lack of respect Limbaugh's death is getting, we're showing the same level of respect he gave in life.
Exactly. You reap what you sow.
--- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan