Go Back   Fratching! > General > Clash of Cultures

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #11  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 PM
telecom_goddess's Avatar
telecom_goddess telecom_goddess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,363
Default

Ok well answer me this....when men play sports (and no I'm not a fan I don't understand the hub bub around this it's stupid) they get millions of dollars, but women who play don't get nearly that much, and they go through the exact same things the men do. It's unbalanced, and it needs to change. It's worth some money sure, but not MILLIONS!
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
Great YouTube channel check it out!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 09-13-2019, 02:50 AM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom_goddess View Post
Ok well answer me this....when men play sports (and no I'm not a fan I don't understand the hub bub around this it's stupid) they get millions of dollars, but women who play don't get nearly that much, and they go through the exact same things the men do. It's unbalanced, and it needs to change. It's worth some money sure, but not MILLIONS!
For the same reason college football coaches get paid millions of dollars, and the swimming coach doesn't.

Demand.

Football "brings money" into the school. It's "in demand" people watch it. There are lucrative television contracts and so forth. Booster clubs and alumni pour millions of dollars into the schools annually for the football team.

The swimming team? Not so much.

It's the same with pro sports. That's also why male athletes get paid far more than women athletes. It's not that the women athletes are bad at what they do, they just compete on a different level.

Personally, when the Women's World Cup rolls around, I'm more interested in watching that than the Men's World Cup. But guess what: The men's world cup makes more money, so the players get paid more.

Doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with college football coaches making millions, but that's what happens.

It's all about economics.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 09-16-2019, 03:39 PM
telecom_goddess's Avatar
telecom_goddess telecom_goddess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,363
Default

And that is why this country is so screwed up. The economics are extremely unbalanced, while some people are paid way more than they need to be, far more others are not being paid nearly enough. Capitalism sucks. The 1 percent at the top hold all the wealth and it never trickles down. We need to even out the wealth a hell of a lot. Maybe some of these people making millions can give a little back. So others aren't homeless and hungry or just struggling to survive to pay ever increasing rents and costs while wages for average people are STUCK. The football player makes a shit ton but normal people can't even live. There is something wrong with an economy that flows like that.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
Great YouTube channel check it out!
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 09-17-2019, 01:48 AM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,230
Default

A lot of that really isn't the fault of capitalism.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM
telecom_goddess's Avatar
telecom_goddess telecom_goddess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
A lot of that really isn't the fault of capitalism.
Actually it is. Capitalism encourages the few to be rich and the rest to be poor, it's not equal distribution, and we need equal distribution of wealth, food, medicine etc.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
Great YouTube channel check it out!
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 09-18-2019, 01:25 AM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom_goddess View Post
equal distribution of wealth, food, medicine etc.
So a cashier at Wal-Mart should make the same as a doctor or lawyer? That's great, if you want the cashier to have to have a Masters degree or doctorate.

Right now, my current job precludes me from running my own "side" thing. But I've certainly considered it. Even starting it as an LLC. I have some skills that I could capitalize on, and use that to make money. Why would it be anyone's concern if I charge $5 per hour or $100 per hour for my services?

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are billionaires. Do I feel like I deserve some of their money because I have less of it than they do? No.

Last edited by mjr; 09-18-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 09-20-2019, 06:15 PM
telecom_goddess's Avatar
telecom_goddess telecom_goddess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
So a cashier at Wal-Mart should make the same as a doctor or lawyer? That's great, if you want the cashier to have to have a Masters degree or doctorate.

Right now, my current job precludes me from running my own "side" thing. But I've certainly considered it. Even starting it as an LLC. I have some skills that I could capitalize on, and use that to make money. Why would it be anyone's concern if I charge $5 per hour or $100 per hour for my services?

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are billionaires. Do I feel like I deserve some of their money because I have less of it than they do? No.
A cashier at Walmart needs to have a living wage, and doctors and lawyers don't need to make more money than they even need. Make legal services and healthcare available for everyone, and the doctors and lawyers can be paid a normal living wage like normal people.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
Great YouTube channel check it out!
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old Yesterday, 01:47 AM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom_goddess View Post
A cashier at Walmart needs to have a living wage, and doctors and lawyers don't need to make more money than they even need. Make legal services and healthcare available for everyone, and the doctors and lawyers can be paid a normal living wage like normal people.
So the answer to my question, then, is yes?

I will say that I'm certainly glad the surgeon who operated on me years ago had years of schooling and even more years in the field.

Capitalism, by its very nature, is amoral. Don't confuse that with immoral.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.