Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarr View Post
But that doesn't necessarily make anyone fighting them the good guys by definition. My enemy's enemies may still be a bunch of assholes.
Yep, those Soviets were such wonderful people After the Nazis were defeated, they instituted their own oppressive regimes.

Quote:
And Antifa isn't showing up to those protests just in cloth masks, either. They, too, are wearing body armor or helmets, using weighted gloves and batons. They, too, are going there to fight - preferably Nazis, but they're not always that discriminating about who they consider a Nazi.
They've become exactly what they claim to be fighting against. While I disagree with the message of the Nazi-wannabes, using force in an attempt to squelch their rights to free speech--even if they disagree with it--is the definition of fascism. Free speech runs both ways. I find the Nazi "ideals" disturbing. However, the minute we start imposing limits on things we disagree with, we no longer have free speech.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:35 PM

Hate speech isn't covered by free speech so squelch away in my opinion. Hate speech has no place in society and should be shut down hard.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
Hate speech isn't covered by free speech so squelch away in my opinion. Hate speech has no place in society and should be shut down hard.
So who defines hate speech?

We either have free speech for everyone or we don't for anyone.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanasi View Post
So who defines hate speech?

We either have free speech for everyone or we don't for anyone.
Hate speech is well defined. It's not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated. You'd have to be trolling to think no one can have free speech if hate speech can't be included. The nazi scumbags don't deserve to be tolerated.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Hate speech is well defined. It's not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated. You'd have to be trolling to think no one can have free speech if hate speech can't be included. The nazi scumbags don't deserve to be tolerated.
I say again who is going to define hate speech?
Just because a few or many do not like what someone has to say doesn't mean the should be muzzled.
I guess with some sets, some hogs are more equal than others. Sounds a lot like Nazi and commie practices. There's a lot being said that I don't like but I don't call for them being silenced because it's just talk. Do you remember "Sticks and stones might break my bones but words will never harm me."

Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess with some sets, some hogs are more equal than others. Sounds a lot like Nazi and commie practices. There's a lot being said that I don't like but I don't call for them being silenced because it's just talk.
That's exactly what it sounds like. Even now, in certain countries--like North Korea, for example--you can be jailed for speaking your mind. Not even hate speech either. You can get sent to prison for daring to criticize their "dear leader." Such speech is seen as "hateful" against the government. Also, the US Dept of Homeland Security actually claimed that anyone daring to criticize Bush's regime (remember his speech about "you're either with me or against me?") is a "potential terrorist." Naturally, he and his cronies were widely blasted for that remark. If our government starts trying to restrict what we can and cannot say, they're no better than the Nazis and Commies.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I say again who is going to define hate speech?
There's a group of people who want genocide and you're honestly going to say, "Well, what REALLY is hate speech?" Are you kidding me? If we as a society don't agree with genocide, then we shouldn't tolerate people advocating it either.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 PM

Okay, so hate speech contains advocacy for genocide. Thatís a fairly low-hanging fruit. Is there anything else thatís hate speech? Or does that cover it?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarr View Post
Okay, so hate speech contains advocacy for genocide. Thatís a fairly low-hanging fruit. Is there anything else thatís hate speech? Or does that cover it?
Suggesting any kind of violence or discrimination against people because of their race/creed/sexuality/nationality/etc. Suggesting we take power away from those groups.

This should be blatantly obvious.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
There's a group of people who want genocide and you're honestly going to say, "Well, what REALLY is hate speech?" Are you kidding me? If we as a society don't agree with genocide, then we shouldn't tolerate people advocating it either.
Tolerating things we don't like is part of being an adult. I don't like what they're saying but until they act then it's just talk. When speech is restricted for some it's restricted for all and while currently your ox isn't being gored one day it might be.