Go Back   Fratching! > General > Religion

Old 05-25-2015, 05:07 AM

Needing to delete some stuff. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by mathnerd; 05-29-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:57 PM

^

Me too. Fuck the guilt. Guilt is a toxic emotion and so is any church which exploits that to gain compliance. Most of the things they guilt you over are things which hurt no one.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageaholic View Post
^

Me too. Fuck the guilt. Guilt is a toxic emotion and so is any church which exploits that to gain compliance. Most of the things they guilt you over are things which hurt no one.
I wouldn't agree with that, killing, lying, stealing and purposefully hurting others, it seems most of the things that churchs guilt you over are things that should cause you guilt because they hurt others. People just get all upset about the sex stuff because they disagree with what the church is telling them.

I think it depends on both the church and the religion too. I was raised lapsed catholic, but attended catholic school and the lectures on sex went like:
The will of god is that sex will occur between married people for the purpose of procreating, but occasionally people aren't able to perform gods will perfectly so ...(45 minutes on disease control, birth control, or respect for self and others) ... and remember everyone except the saints fail to live gods will perfectly so if you think it's possible you might find yourself needing more information on this before you are married you can get it from (local agencies, doctors, school counsellor).

Overall pretty non-guilty. As far as I know there was never any indication that masturbation was a sin, just reasonable warnings about hygiene and safety.

Straight from the nuns mouths that was.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecCat View Post
I think it depends on both the church and the religion too. I was raised lapsed catholic, but attended catholic school and the lectures on sex went like: The will of god is that sex will occur between married people for the purpose of procreating, but occasionally people aren't able to perform gods will perfectly so ...(45 minutes on disease control, birth control, or respect for self and others) ... and remember everyone except the saints fail to live gods will perfectly so if you think it's possible you might find yourself needing more information on this before you are married you can get it from (local agencies, doctors, school counsellor).

Overall pretty non-guilty. As far as I know there was never any indication that masturbation was a sin, just reasonable warnings about hygiene and safety.

See, I could live with that because it is realistic and honest, and pretty much the way my parents talked to me about sex as a teenager.

I'm starting to think that there are A LOT of false teachings in the name of Christianity out there, but that again is a whole 'nother thread.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecCat View Post
I wouldn't agree with that, killing, lying, stealing and purposefully hurting others, it seems most of the things that churchs guilt you over are things that should cause you guilt because they hurt others. People just get all upset about the sex stuff because they disagree with what the church is telling them.

I think it depends on both the church and the religion too. I was raised lapsed catholic, but attended catholic school and the lectures on sex went like:
The will of god is that sex will occur between married people for the purpose of procreating, but occasionally people aren't able to perform gods will perfectly so ...(45 minutes on disease control, birth control, or respect for self and others) ... and remember everyone except the saints fail to live gods will perfectly so if you think it's possible you might find yourself needing more information on this before you are married you can get it from (local agencies, doctors, school counsellor).

That's the polar opposite of what I was taught in a Catholic school. Essentially we got "Sex is bad and women should only have sex because it's a necessary evil for getting pregnant and having kids. A pure, Godly woman doesn't enjoy sex, only submits to her husband out of necessity."

I was in for a huge culture shock when I went to a boarding school for the performing arts in high school, and sex, sexuality, and LGBTQ rights and acceptance were major cultural themes in the school. Hell the annual spring fling ended with a formal dance at which the highlight was a drag queen fashion show. It was eye opening for me, and started me on the path that eventually led me to separating from the church.

The final nail came when I condemned by many for getting my tubes tied after my third baby nearly took the life of both of us. I'd had complicated pregnancies, and they were getting more and more difficult. My youngest was born at 24 weeks after delivery was necessary to save my life, and nearly didn't work. Yet somehow I'm a bad and evil person because I took measures to ensure that I would be alive to take care of the kids I already have instead of risking getting pregnant again and depriving these three from having a mother.

As for the rest that was mentioned above, you don't need religion to know that killing people and hurting people is bad. That's basic humanity.

Last edited by mathnerd; 05-29-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathnerd View Post
That's the polar opposite of what I was taught in a Catholic school.
I think it really depends on the parish priest. Ours was ordained as a widower when his kids were teenagers, even a decade later I think he was more in touch with how to teach kids than a lot of priests would be. Also I did most of my schooling in Quebec, one of the most simultaneously religious, catholic, sexual liberal part of the country. No, I don't understand how that works either.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:32 PM

It really depends on the priest, I suspect. Does the priest care more about their flock, or about banging on about the religion? Many priests care more about their flock.The more extreme ones care more about the religion.