Go Back   Fratching! > General > Religion

Old 05-30-2016, 06:23 PM

Exactly, I could just "go through the motions" and go to church every Sunday/Saturday whatever and whatnot, but if I don't really feel it "inside", then it's not real. Religion or not, I'm definitely not one of those "fake it till you make it" types. :P

Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The whole "waste of semen" thing is bogus. The same semen doesn't just stay with you forever until you ejaculate. You are repeatedly generating and rejecting semen whether you ejaculate or not... not to mention IIRC ejaculation often occurs unvoluntarily every few weeks if you haven't had any action.
This brings back a test question I missed (and the only one I remember) from 9th grade sex education. The course material had a single sentence like "wet dreams or masturbation is normal for all boys," and that was the full extent of that point's coverage. The TEST gave "wet dreams are normal for all boys" as a true-or-false question. Seemed like a significant difference to me, so I put false and was marked wrong.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM

um, HYHYBT, they marked that correctly. what answering "wet reams are normal for all boys" with false is answering is "wet dreams are not normal for all boys" not "both wet dreams and masturbation are normal for all boys"

I agree that the course material seems somewhat sparse though,

Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYHYBT View Post
This brings back a test question I missed (and the only one I remember) from 9th grade sex education. The course material had a single sentence like "wet dreams or masturbation is normal for all boys," and that was the full extent of that point's coverage. The TEST gave "wet dreams are normal for all boys" as a true-or-false question. Seemed like a significant difference to me, so I put false and was marked wrong.
Not sure how that's a significant difference. If they give you a subset of things that are normal for boys, and you mark that 'false' then yeah that's wrong. The test asked "are wet dreams normal for all boys?" and you said no. That's a wrong answer provided the material you were given, which said it was true. Just because they didn't include another thing that's normal doesn't make it false.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 AM

You would be right, if it had said "and." But "or" means normal includes the absence of either so long as the other is present.

"A OR B is normal for all" includes three things:

1) Some will have A without B, and that is normal;
2) Some will have B without A, and that is normal; and
3) Some may have both, and that is normal.

"A is normal for all" logically excludes #2 from normality. So one option the material included within normality is excluded as presented on the test. The problem is simultaneously removing a possibility while keeping the word "all."

Take a different statement of the same form: "All our employees either drive or walk to work." Assuming that is true, it does not follow that you can remove a couple of words and say "all our employees walk to work" and have it remain true.

Last edited by HYHYBT; 06-01-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 PM

That's true. It's a poorly worded statement/question. Even if they had meant what you thought they meant, I could see other people interpreting the way s_stabeler and I did and would have been similarly upset. If this were a logic test, it's fine to ask questions that way, but this is supposed to be a test about understanding adolescent behavior, not trying to parse what is meant by "all" and "or" in a strict fashion.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuckster View Post
The whole "waste of semen" thing is bogus. The same semen doesn't just stay with you forever until you ejaculate. You are repeatedly generating and rejecting semen whether you ejaculate or not... not to mention IIRC ejaculation often occurs unvoluntarily every few weeks if you haven't had any action.
Yes it is but you have to remember that way back when they believed that men only had so much semen. Along with it was the woman who decided what sex the baby was, so it's her fault if you didn't have a son.

To answer the OP - No, it isn't a sin. The only people who will think it is a sin are the ones who have their noses stuck in places they shouldn't be.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 AM

Those who need to judge others to feel better about themselves will do so regardless of the topic. The concept of "sin" was devised by people and what is and is not one is likewise devised by people. You can take any given topic and there's someone on the planet who thinks its a sin and someone one the planet who doesn't.

This isn't a question for us, or your Church or some old white dudes with dusty books. Its a question for you and your relationship with whatever it is you believe in. Do you really believe that an all knowing, all loving entity that created life and the universe would be upset with you for doing something to alleviate your own pain? Pain which you experience through no fault of your own?

Personally, if such a being exists I don't see how it can be so wise and so compassionate but also get bent out of shape about whats going on in a single woman's vagina. To the point of allowing her to suffer because he's a compulsive micromanager. -.-

God is suppose to be better than all of us yet people forever claim its his "will" for him to behave just like our ugliest selves.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:00 AM

What Gravekeeper said about those who need to judge others to feel better about themselves will do so regardless of the topic is right on. I was a Southern Baptist until they started preaching that a married couple without children are sinning, because God said to be fruitful and multiply. I guess they never considered that there are infertile couples or couples who choose not to have children for good, valid reasons. Hub and I chose not to have children because we were older when we got married, which, IMO, is no one's business but ours. Not the church's business, not our parents' business, but ours and ours alone. As far as taking birth control drugs to lessen pain and/or bleeding, it's also no one's business but the OP and her doctor's.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 AM

Is that an official Southern Baptist position now, or just one that was preached in the church you went to or something along those lines?