Go Back   Fratching! > General > Things I hate

Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Those balls are evil bastards to me. I have balance issues already and have tried to sit on them twice. First time, I fell straight backwards. Second time, I just couldn't sit right and kept feeling like I was going to tip off.

My issue is with 'ergonomic' chairs. I ended up with a really bad sway in my back and a badly tilted pelvis because of fancy smancy $500 ergonomic chair at my workplace in 2008-09. It took 3 years of constantly checking my posture and too many chiro visits to get close to straight again. Basically if it has lots of padding or 'support' in the lower back area, I can't use it.

This is like the bad evil hurting chair, but the lower back area was even further pushed in (if that makes sense) and not adjustable.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...lack-fnmb100bk

This is closer to what I can use, but I have the back adjusted so the bottom is flush to the seat part. Then the lower back part is actually level with my bum. Then yay no back or hip pain for me.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ack-pamatxhbbk

Yes, I am a walking, talking contradiction to all things normal.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 PM

I used to sit on a yoga ball at one of the call centers I worked at and it definitely helped me a great deal. But people started swiping the ball when I wasn't around and were being stupid with it, so the OH&S committee decreed that any of us sitting on yoga balls at work had to take them home so that nobody could potentially hurt themselves if they fell off. We tried to reason with the committee because we knew more than enough not to screw around on them, that if the idiots left our yoga balls alone instead of playing on them that there wouldn't be any issues. But rather than make sure that other employees kept their hands off of things that didn't belong to them, we were still ordered to take our balls home. I was not a happy camper, and the fucknugget that always took my ball got the brunt of my anger because he was the one that fell off and whacked his head off the floor - the incident that got the OH&S committee involved in the first damn place.

These days I use a Steelcase chair like this at both home and work. The one at home was left behind by a previous tenant and the landlord said I could have it, and the one at work was from a previous employee so I absconded with it. Awesome, fully adjustable chairs.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:07 AM

That was the bad evil hurting chair, Kuari, but with a mesh back to it.

The flashbacks! They hurt so much. Glad it works for you, but I'd rather sit on the floor.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM

I have both a standing desk and one of these: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...73dea09b6f.jpg because of scoliosis. I can't imagine sitting on a ball. I'd fall off and end up with a concussion.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:16 AM

I just want to add, that I have had to deal with the "open office" bullshit for a few years now and I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Introverted people like me, with sensory issues, can't work very well in this environment. It's too loud, too many people, too light, and no privacy at ALL. And they hold these dumb meetings where everyone is clapping and cheering, when I"m on the damn phone. Whoever thought of this needs to be dead, after being burned and drawn and quartered. I want my high walled dark corner cube back dammit.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM

Open Plan offices should all die in a fire! AARRGGHH!! They are so fucking annoying when you have a loud boss that shouts across the whole office to get your attention. Especially when you are a temp and no one knows your name so you get 'Oi you! Temp chick!' Fuck you dude, I have a name and there is a phone on my desk and I'm logged into the desk owners email and chat thingy. You have 3 other ways of getting my attention. Or maybe you could get off your butt and walk over to me.

Sorry that was a bit ranty, but that workplace sucked balls big time. Thank Dog it was only a 2 week temp job. Boss never did learn my name.

Only place I saw it done okish was where each department was open, but there were glass walls between departments with plants and shelving units and 'park' areas that were for the big clapping meetings. The park areas had plants and tables for smaller meetings to.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 PM

My favourite desk in a call center environment was one where I was in a four-walled cube with only a small opening to get in and out. It was really private and it blocked out a good deal of the ongoing chatter that happens in all call centers. I even made a card-board roof over half of it to help block out the annoying lights above me. I was really lucky to score that desk, and I was so sad when I couldn't get one on the next contract I moved to. I tried really, really hard though.

Most call centers I've been at have an open plan and it's annoying as fuck to deal with the constant sound of chatter in the background. And because I have an issue filtering out that background noise it made for frustrating days. I found out that the last call center is moving in a couple of months and at the new site they're making the cubicle walls even shorter and the desks are going to be narrower. My kid still works there and is not happy with the expected changes, but fortunately they're doing mostly offline duties now.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 PM

With the standing desks, work offered them to us as options when we had a recent move. They got one in - a pretty nice thing too - and they set it up with the heaviest equipment someone in the team would use...but, as it turned out, two towers and three monitors just made them wobble an alarming amount. We decided not to get them.