Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
I could ask that same question about a number of Conservative positions that many of you complain about.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Every change in law affects everyone, whether they know it or not.
So you oppose accepting Trans people - and Queer people, I guess? - on the principle that changes in law to accomodate them may have influence on your life? Do you oppose changes to tax or property or criminal law on the same principle?

What changes in law do you see concerning Trans or Queer people that concern you?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
What if I believe it does affect me, but in ways you wouldn't care about?
Then you're wrong and there's no reason for me to care about it in the first place?

If you want to persist in this ridiculous line of argument then put up or shut up. Stop dancing around the bush as to what your actual problem is here. Unless you already know your problem here is wrong and don't want to admit it.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:52 AM

Stephen Colbert had a great take on this :

"Why would you want to change your age at 69? You just got to the only funny number."

Quote:
this pesky little thing called "biology"
That pesky little thing called "biology" has found that a transgender person's brain matches that of the gender they identify as, not the gender they were born as.

Researchers have found that a person who was born male but identifies as female can be shown to have a brain that functions similarly to a woman's brain, not a man's, and vice versa for somebody born female but identifies as male.

So that pesky little thing called "biology" actually seems to support the argument that transgender individuals are, in fact, the gender they identify as, not the gender they were born as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormraven View Post
Well, if he can get scans of people 20 years younger than him, prove that they are similar in makeup and processing, then show that his MRI matches theirs, then I'm fine with it.
I'll go along with that. If there is scientific evidence that supports his contention that he is 20 years younger than his chronological age, then so be it.

Quote:
I actually know a guy who is fairly liberal who's on my side on this, too.
Yeah, and there are conservatives who support LGBT rights. So what's your point?

Not all liberals agree on all things. Not all conservatives agree on all things.

Political views, like gender, are a spectrum, not a binary. Not everybody is 100% liberal or 100% conservative. A person can be, and many are, liberal on some issues and conservative on others.

Quote:
What if I believe it does affect me, but in ways you wouldn't care about?
Are people here supposed to guess how you believe it affects you?

Do you want the folks here to just take your word for it that it does harm you in some fashion, without your needing to even specify how?

I'm pretty sure that debate forums don't work that way. If you have a position, then you need to defend it with arguments.

When somebody asks "How does it affect you?" and you simply respond, "It does affect me" and don't say how ... That's not much of an argument.
"Come on. Donald Trump didn't think he was going to win this thing, either, and I'm guessing that right now, he is spinning out. He's probably looking at a map of the United States and thinking, 'Wait, HOW long does this wall have to be?!'" - Seth Meyers

Last edited by Valinor; 11-27-2018 at 12:58 AM.