Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Old 08-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
I'll come right out and say it -- I hate these damn masks. They're uncomfortable, and they're a grim reminder that things aren't right.

That being said, I feel like the people who refuse to wear them are contributing to the problem and dragging the whole pandemic out.
So much this. Do I enjoy wearing a mask everywhere I go? Not at all. Will I continue to do so to protect myself and everyone around me? Absolutely.

What really concerns me is this move by the cheeto to bypass the CDC completely when it comes to reporting numbers. In what universe is that ok?

Old 08-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster91 View Post
What really concerns me is this move by the cheeto to bypass the CDC completely when it comes to reporting numbers. In what universe is that ok?
That troubles me as well. But then, pretty much everything Cheetos does either scares the hell out of me, or pisses me off.
--- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Old 08-03-2020, 02:00 PM

Mike, you have mentioned singing karaoke before, right? I used to go out and sing fairly frequently myself, but I cannot imagine EVER doing it again. No matter how many sprays of Lysol the KJ would use.

How do you see this? Would you personally feel comfortable with karaoke again?

Old 08-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post

How do you see this? Would you personally feel comfortable with karaoke again?
I actually thought I'd be doing it again by now. A few weeks ago, the one place I go to was prepared to bring it back, but the DJ backed out for some reason, and then the bars pretty much got shut down anyway. I figured with the precautions they were taking it -- disinfecting the microphone between singers and requiring people to use their smartphones to sign up -- would be OK. I know a lot of people still aren't even comfortable going out to restaurants, but I'm basically taking precautions, while at the same time trying to do my normal activities wherever possible.
--- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Old 08-08-2020, 12:23 AM

Well I think the people that are against masks cause of "mah freedoms!" are idiots pure and simple. I'm sick of stores saying that masks are required, and when customers are pushed to wear them they throw big tantrums and actually throw stuff on the ground like children. Or even better, they decide to assault the poor person working in the store instead. So then we end up with the culture of "oh well we're sorry this hurt your little feewings so it's ok if you don't wear a mask if you don't want to". FUCK THAT. MAKE these people wear them or KICK THEM OUT! And don't let them assault people! They have got to learn to act like grown up adults instead of spoiled rotten kids. I don't like masks either I really find it harder to breathe in them, and I panic more. BUT I do what I have to do when I absolutely have to go somewhere. I move slowly, I stop to breathe when I need to, etc. I also experiment with different types and materials. If they don't shut down everything and MAKE these fuckheads wear masks, we are doomed and the pandemic is never going away.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:03 PM

I kinda stopped pretending it wasn't a political wank for specific demographics and just moved on. By every metric (economic per capita, death per capita) those societies which masked up and distanced outperformed.

I've had so many weird conversations that would go in this circle Why Should I->What Evidence -> Ok Masks work but what about distancing -> ok masks and distancing work but what about the economic cost -> Ok so masks and distancing help with the economic cost I grant you, but its a right -> Ok so I grant you the government has the right to regulate clothing given a compelling interest (areas around schools, hospitals, etc.) -> Why Should I?

I'm pretty much just resigned to staying away from the crazies and saying attaboy Japan. There probably other times in our history the US could have better weathered this, but now is not that time. You desperately needed part of the conservative movement to not use this as a political tool and that's just not how they're built right now.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster91 View Post
And that has gotten handed back to the CDC after the agency that it was handed to COMPLETELY mucked it up. Praise be to good thinking.

On the mask front I quit my job because my employer refused to enforce it for our customers. They said the instant it was required "Well we won't be enforcing that we're not law enforcement" guess who stopped caring about shoplifters all of a sudden after that. Then later after the assaults they tried to reframe it as "well we don't want you getting assaulted that's why we didn't enforce it"

Bull. They didn't enforce it because paying customers whined. They know the ones that wear masks will still shop there and they know the ones that don't will stop shopping there if they enforce it. Their only goal is profit and to do security theater.

They put the Plexiglas barriers IN FRONT OF the PIN pad so customers were constantly poking their heads around the barrier to use the PIN pads. They put up physical barriers to force people to social distance but the instant someone was all "I don't want to walk that far" down they came. We never limited the number of people in the stores either and we were doing more sales than Christmas.

My managers spreading BS about masks not working, our Governor not having the right to declare emergency rules in a health crisis, etc was the last straw and saw me quitting.
Smartass

Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 PM

Just refreshing this thread by posting a "funny" story:

One of my coworkers came down with Covid, and notified our boss immediately.

Boss went quickly: "Y'all MUST take 2 consecutive tests, and abide by all goverment guidelines!!!"

Us: "But Boss, the guidelines also tells us to isolate and work from home while we wait for the test results...."

Boss: "Uh yeah, well, those are GUIDELINES and not MANDATES, hurrr......"

So yeah, that was one (but not the only one) reason why I'll be on the job market next week (And both my tests were negative, thanks FSM).

Last edited by NorthernZel; 09-24-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 PM

The few anti-maskers around town here are of the "it's all a conspiracy to control us" type. They insist masks are government oppression and the pandemic is all fake. They never seem to be able to articulate what the end game of having a fake pandemic to make people put on a face mask is though.

The loudest one in town here rants constantly about it and insists everyone else are sheep (and makes baa baa noises at you). After being piled on every day on Facebook she's selling her house and moving to somewhere "where she's appreciated" and "no one are sheep". She had a huge rant in our town's facebook group as she flounced.

My personal opinion is for fuck sake's its literally the bare minimum you can do to not kill other people you fucking moron.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:52 PM

And seriously, what is the WORST that can happen if it turns out masks weren't actually all that helpful? You wore a square of cloth over your face for several months. (And in my case, spent a ridiculous amount of money on masks ... "Oh look, there's a nice one! *click* "Oh look, there's another nice one!" *click* )

We're getting people around here ranting about how people are "tired" of the restrictions. Well, you just tell the virus that; I'm sure it'll back right off.