Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

The Power of the ANTIFA Myth
  #1  
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50 PM
D_Yeti_Esquire's Avatar
D_Yeti_Esquire D_Yeti_Esquire is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 566
Default The Power of the ANTIFA Myth

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-us-civil-war

So I guess while the next Civil War starts tomorrow and no one's told the left yet, I thought I'd just drop this here before I go to my Parkinson's fundraiser Saturday where I guess I'll now have to look out for crackpot conservatives with automatics there "just in case."

I guess a few questions:
1) For Liberals - how do you deal with far left radicals in general (who much like crackpot conservatives) tend to just create a "what about " target
2) For Conservatives - How exactly is an ANTIFA insurrection supposed to happen while these are mostly dumbasses with batons vs. Republican leaning Cops, Republican leaning Military, and no actual support from liberals in general?

3) If we take the mythologizing for what it is, how can we stop it? We already know it's being exploited by foreign powers. How can you derail this sort of thing when there is such a financial incentive to feed this type of behavior for political reasons?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 PM
s_stabeler s_stabeler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,196
Default

The obvious problem is that it can be hard to tell if they're morons, or are themselves preparing to try something.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:13 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post

So I guess while the next Civil War starts tomorrow and no one's told the left yet, I thought I'd just drop this here before I go to my Parkinson's fundraiser Saturday where I guess I'll now have to look out for crackpot conservatives with automatics there "just in case."
Automatics? I thought that had already been discussed. What exactly is an "automatic"? Please tell me what a firearm is that's available to the general public that is "automatic".
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-04-2017, 12:49 PM
D_Yeti_Esquire's Avatar
D_Yeti_Esquire D_Yeti_Esquire is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 566
Default

Really?

That entire topic prompt and you want to discuss the off hand joke? No.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
Really?

That entire topic prompt and you want to discuss the off hand joke? No.
#2:

Because in Berkeley, police "stood down" while Antifa basically rioted.

Does "punch a nazi" ring a bell?
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
#2:

Because in Berkeley, police "stood down" while Antifa basically rioted.

Does "punch a nazi" ring a bell?
The Berkeley riot was barely a blip in the history of riots in the US.

You're trying to say that could translate to an insurrection?

All you're doing is drawing an underline under Yeti's original point.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:55 AM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
The Berkeley riot was barely a blip in the history of riots in the US.

You're trying to say that could translate to an insurrection?

All you're doing is drawing an underline under Yeti's original point.
Not exactly, no. I'm saying that ANTIFA is using the exact same tactics they say they're fighting against. You can SAY they aren't, but they are.

And as I've said on other forums, "Something isn't true just because you say it is."

It's the same in politics. Something's not true just because a Democrat/Republican says it is.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Not exactly, no. I'm saying that ANTIFA is using the exact same tactics they say they're fighting against. You can SAY they aren't, but they are.

And as I've said on other forums, "Something isn't true just because you say it is."

It's the same in politics. Something's not true just because a Democrat/Republican says it is.
I did not say anything on that one way or the other. No one did.

That's two threads now where instead of answering for the ridiculous point you tried to make you entirely changed the topic. Hell, you're changing the entire argument to one that wasn't even happening in the first place.

If you cannot discuss something with enough good faith to keep yourself honest between two posts then all you're adding is noise. Noise isn't going to convince anyone of your position. It's just going to make people think you're being disingenuous with them and stop talking to you.

There are legitimate criticisms to be leveled at Antifa. But going along with the Republican noise machine and making them out to be the latest boogeyman / scapegoat everyone needs to be afraid of doesn't help. It undercuts the entire conversation and pushes away people who might have agreed with you otherwise had you leveled a legitimate criticism.

For reference, saying Antifa is as dangerous as colonial America or that it's in any way remotely reasonable to believe they're going to mount an insurrection isn't a legitimate criticism. It's disingenuous fear mongering. If you want to discuss Antifa, or indeed any similar issue in the current political climate, you need to rise above such tactics.

Otherwise its all just more noise and the current state of bullshit will continue unabated with everyone flinging shit at each other.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Canarr Canarr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 881
Default

Antifa is dangerous, in that they disrupt legitimate protests, use violence and intimidation, attack people and property, and in general do an actual disservice to the causes they claim to champion most of the time. Whereever they show up and break the law, they should be arrested.

However, Antifa is *not* dangerous in the sense of an armed group of insurrectionists poised to start a civil war. They lack the organistion, the armament, and the numbers to do that.
__________________
"You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
"You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 AM
Gravekeeper Gravekeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarr View Post
Antifa is dangerous, in that they disrupt legitimate protests, use violence and intimidation, attack people and property, and in general do an actual disservice to the causes they claim to champion most of the time. Whereever they show up and break the law, they should be arrested.

However, Antifa is *not* dangerous in the sense of an armed group of insurrectionists poised to start a civil war. They lack the organistion, the armament, and the numbers to do that.
I'm going to debate the "legitimate protest" part because a lot of Berkeley was two groups of assholes scheduling a time and place to meet up so they could beat each other with sticks. Antifa didn't completely sour until it was fully co-opted by black bloc types. That's when there was an actual co-ordinated assault during a protest.

But prior to that it was a lot of assholes agreeing to meet in the parking lot so to speak. And before that, there was some pretty grievous attacks on counter protesters at Trump rallies. Before Antifa really began to crystallize. At the time I was lodged in a number of social media discussions about it and Trump supporters were cheering it on when several of them beat the shit out of one "Antifa". While the cops shrugged and watched from 50 feet away.

And the justifications they gave were endless. That 6'4 jock *had* to cold cock punch that 5'2 girl square in the face because she tried to grab the sign out of someone's hand ( someone who was shoving her with that sign ). The Nazi who ran his car into a group of protesters, killing one, *had* to do it because it was self defense and Antifa were going to surround his car and kill him ( despite there being no one anywhere around his car and him having a good 2 blocks run up to hit the crowd ).

So honestly I find the whole Myth of Antifa being the bogeyman now to be pretty ridiculous given how willing people were to pummel the shit out opposing protesters. Then defend any and all actions of their "side" to the last breath. Nevermind all the proud videos on Youtube of them bragging about pummeling the shit out of Antifa.

People seem to forget that stuff like this went down back around the time of Berkeley. When a mob of Trumpers ran down a handful of "Antifa". And yes, the guy that bodychecks the girl in the video is the same one who cold cocks her in the face when she turns around to slap him for hitting her from behind.

The entire sequence of events at that rally began when a flag waving Trump supporter convinced another Trumper to attack a journalist from behind while he was filming the rally organizer talking it out with a couple of the counter protesters. When that happened, someone stepped in to try and break it up and the guy that attacked the journalist started wailing on him. The rally organizer tried to break it up. Then some meathead Trump supporter saw his chance and jumped on the Antifa guy she was talking too and start wailing on him.

The Antifa guy peppersprayed him. That broke it all up and everyone backed off. But some of the meatheads that started the fight ( and were looking for one ) followed the handful of counter-protesters as they tried to leave. While the cops, 50 feet away or so, just watched it all unfold.

The meathead that attacked the counter protester the moment he saw an opening to punch him is the same one that's beating the guy on the ground at the end of the video.

The one constant between all of the videos of violence from that day was actually the shithead Trumper with the flag. He was using it spear people and was going from place to place trying to incite people to attack the counter protesters. He basically started it all. Then after it started, he ran around yelling at the crowd to chase down individual protesters to wail on. All while stabbing at them with a flag pole.

So yeah, after watching all this shit unfold from day one in one protest after another I call bullshit when Antifa gets turned into this insurrectionist bogeyman. Antifa didn't get really ugly till months later when the black bloc organized a jump on a protest. And Trumpers have been giving as much as they were getting the entire way through. At least till took it up a notch and started yelling "Hey nigger!" and opening fire at rallies and running people over with cars.

Especially after so much social media cheering about how they were whipping counter-protester ass and fuckpops like Based Stickman running around. Who for the record organized his own little posse and started showing up at these things in a gang.

So yeah, the myth is bullshit and no one was certainly afraid of them a couple months ago when they were punching women in the face, beating people with sticks, shooting at black people and running people over with cars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.