Go Back   Fratching! > General > Pop Culture

Facebook - ''If you don't share this, you are a horrible human being''
Old 04-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Facebook - ''If you don't share this, you are a horrible human being''

Oh man. Did a major face palm earlier.
Those ''if you don't share this...'' shaming type posts have always bugged me, but this just made me shake my head.
One of my ''bible thumping, Jesus loving'' friends is always sharing those posts and memes that tell you to share if you love Jesus, or type ''Amen'' and you will be blessed with money or good fortune, or God will cure some little kid's brain tumor, or something.
She shares any urban legend hoax or fake news story going.
I would block her, but she's on my friends list for a couple of games I play.
Plus, sometimes what she shares is good for a laugh.
Today, she shared a picture that was obviously made as a huge tongue in cheek joke and she completely missed the point in her haste to show how much she loves Jesus and shame her friends for not sharing.
It said, ''I bet you won't share this because you are too embarrassed to have Jesus on your wall.''
It was a freakin' picture of Obi Wan Kenobi.
Umm, lady, it's not because I'm embarrassed to have Jesus on my wall. It's because I know the difference between a picture of Jesus and a Star Wars character!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13055483_10207862385174141_6831754347899584426_n.jpg (45.8 KB, 43 views)

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Old 04-30-2016, 03:49 PM

The watermark even shows where the image comes from.

I have a similar friend on Facebook. One of the stupidest hoaxes she fell for was there being a "once-in-a-lifetime" green moon sometime in May or something. You have to stand in your backyard at 2am looking up at it to see it, though. I await her status update the morning after the date saying she stayed up just to see... no green moon.

Best of all, when she shares these things, it always has the "related posts" right underneath filled with "This is a hoax" articles from Snopes and other publications.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 PM

Yep. I've had to remind my SIL to check Snopes after she posted this hoax on her FB page. (Link NSFW, and though the pictures are photoshopped, they still look gross.) So far, she hasn't posted any new hoaxes, so I hope she is checking Snopes beforehand.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Behold! The Ultimate Pog!

Come, now… everyone knows Optimus Prime died for our sins!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 AM
Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsoul View Post
Come, now… everyone knows Optimus Prime died for our sins!
Blasphemy!
Everyone knows Obi-Wan Kenobi died for our sins!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post
It said, ''I bet you won't share this because you are too embarrassed to have Jesus on your wall.''
It was a freakin' picture of Obi Wan Kenobi.
Umm, lady, it's not because I'm embarrassed to have Jesus on my wall. It's because I know the difference between a picture of Jesus and a Star Wars character!
I have a cousin who did this exact same thing. I didn't realize, myself, that the picture was Obi-Wan. I just did a quick glance, so I missed the watermark.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:19 AM

The ones that really make me cringe are the anti-bullying ones that say 'Like and share if you're against bullying or ignore if you're for it'. Yeah, trying to bully me into sharing an anti-bullying post is really going to work

Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjonah View Post
The ones that really make me cringe are the anti-bullying ones that say 'Like and share if you're against bullying or ignore if you're for it'. Yeah, trying to bully me into sharing an anti-bullying post is really going to work
Ah, yes...the old "false dichotomy"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

I wonder what would happen if you wrote back, "What if I'm against people posting stupid things like this??"

Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 PM

they would consider it as you being pro-bullying, I suspect.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post
One of my ''bible thumping, Jesus loving'' friends is always sharing those posts and memes that tell you to share if you love Jesus, or type ''Amen'' and you will be blessed with money or good fortune, or God will cure some little kid's brain tumor, or something.
Ugh. One of my friends is constantly posting those things. Most of hers usually have a line similar to "post this, and God will give you money at the end of the month..." Seriously? Many people get paid roughly twice a month. Tell me again how God has a hand in it?