Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Stanford student gets six months for rape
  #1  
Old 06-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Canarr Canarr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 863
Default Stanford student gets six months for rape

Now, I'm not a fan of the whole "rape culture" theory; but reading this article did bring me closer to being a believer. And, I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I'm not even talking about his father's stupid comments. It's his son, you can't really expect a parent to react rationally about their children. But to let the guy off with basically a slap on the wrist? That's just wrong.

This here is the victim's statement. WARNING: contains a very detailed rendition of sexual assault.
__________________
"You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
"You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 PM
NecCat NecCat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 199
Default

The scariest part of this is not the fathers stupidity (yes parents do get a bit irrational when trying to protect their children) or the sentence (that sentence may be in line with other current sentencing procedures, I don't know), it's the fact that this offender doesn't seem to have the slightest clue what he did wrong

This echoed Turner’s own statement, in which he said he was in the process of establishing a program for high school and college students so that he could “speak out against the college campus drinking culture and the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that”.

He's conflating promiscuity with sexual assault, which completely ignores any impact on the victim, or even acknowledges that there was a victim
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Kheldarson Kheldarson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecCat View Post

This echoed Turner’s own statement, in which he said he was in the process of establishing a program for high school and college students so that he could “speak out against the college campus drinking culture and the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that”.
He's only apologized for being drunk too.

This case is the perfect example of how rape culture exists. This was a slam dunk case. Two eyewitnesses, a solid rape kit, a victim who could in no way, shape, or form give consent.

And the establishment is worried about the harm to the male perpetrator.

Yes, let's keep teaching our youth that there's no real punishment for horrendous crimes that will affect the victim for the rest of her/his life.
__________________
I has a blog!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Talon's Avatar
Talon Talon is offline
Atheist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Prison would have a “severe impact on him”, the judge said.
Oh for fuck's sake, play the little rapist shitbag the world's smallest violin!

He should have thought of "severe impacts" before he chose to violate another human being. Oh wait that's right, he doesn't have to worry right?

Six months for rape, no concern for the victim. It's absolutely outrageous.
__________________
Customer: I need an Apache.
Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Last edited by Talon; 06-09-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-09-2016, 06:27 PM
s_stabeler s_stabeler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,186
Default

I'm going to say something that will probably be controversial, but I don't think the sentence was nessecarily unduly lenient. the rapist- and I agree it is rape- hadn't committed any previous offences, and they were both drunk. Specifically, considering that I know I generally don't think particularly well after drinking alcohol, he probably wasn't actually thinking when he raped the fellow student.

as for the unconcern for the victim, a) that is the father- there's no sign in either article of the actual rapist's feelings. b) yes, a rape investigation requires an invasive exam. that is because one of the things that must be proven in a rape case is that someone has had sex. c) as for why the questions were asked? well, if it as asked by the defence, remember that a lawyer is required to defend their client as well as they can. If that requires putting the victim through the wringer, the lawyer can actually be sued for not doing so- and, incidentally, the rapist could then appeal on the basis that had the lawyer put the victim through the wringer, they would have got off( and yes, they would win- the standard is what a reasonably competent attorney would do)

Granted, at no point do I think the rapist is justified. However, he may deserve some slack since he's not as much of a threat as your typical rapist- if he stays off the booze, he probably won't reoffend.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Shangri-laschild Shangri-laschild is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 362
Default

If you drink and then in your impaired state, decide to drive, you're still held accountable. The fact that he shows no remorse and understanding of what he did wrong. He may have been drunk at the time, but after sobering up he seems to still see nothing wrong with having sex with an unconscious woman. Really, her being drunk shouldn't factor in really. She was passed out. If she had been a heavy sleeper or on sleep meds and he was drunk, would it make a difference? If she was sober and he was drunk would it change things? If she was sober she would be able to tell about how she didn't consent but unconscious women can't consent so it still adds up the same.

I get that the lawyer has to put up a defense but if I stole something, lawyer would not be considered to be incompetent or not doing is job if he neglected to argue "but she really really really wanted it." Some arguments shouldn't be considered reasonable to make. Granted that's a problem with our legal system rather than this specific lawyer but either she couldn't remember because she was unconscious (or so drunk she was soon to be unconscious) and couldn't consent or she was sober enough to consent. "She can't say she didn't consent because she was too drunk to consent" shouldn't be a valid argument. Especially when the whole "they were equally drunk and both drunkenly went for it" doesn't even close to apply.

Last edited by MadMike; 06-09-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 PM
mjr mjr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-laschild View Post
and couldn't consent or she was sober enough to consent. "She can't say she didn't consent because she was too drunk to consent" shouldn't be a valid argument.
There is a flip-side to this. To my understanding, there is a law and/or rule somewhere that says if sex is consensual, and one person withdraws consent in the middle of sex the other party must stop immediately, or it's rape.

I don't necessarily see how, in some cases, "I changed my mind" is a valid argument, either. So if a woman consents to have sex with a man, then partway through decides that she actually doesn't want to have sex with him, she can tell him to stop, and he has to -- immediately. At least that's my understanding.

But as far as this guy goes, I haven't really been keeping up with the case, so I don't know really what happened.

Where did this incident take place? My understanding from the bits and pieces I've heard is that she was "sleeping" (or passed out) behind a dumpster.

Hey college kids...don't drink in college. It'll benefit you greatly if you don't.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Canarr Canarr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldarson View Post
He's only apologized for being drunk too.

This case is the perfect example of how rape culture exists. This was a slam dunk case. Two eyewitnesses, a solid rape kit, a victim who could in no way, shape, or form give consent.

And the establishment is worried about the harm to the male perpetrator.

Yes, let's keep teaching our youth that there's no real punishment for horrendous crimes that will affect the victim for the rest of her/his life.
Actually... I think this case is the perfect example against the concept of rape culture. Here's why, from the victim's statement:

To conclude, I want to say thank you. To everyone from the intern who made me oatmeal when I woke up at the hospital that morning, to the deputy who waited beside me, to the nurses who calmed me, to the detective who listened to me and never judged me...[SNIP] Most importantly, thank you to the two men who saved me, who I have yet to meet.


It goes on a bit, but the "establishment" is basically mentioned in this part, and that's the reason why I feel talking about rape culture, and how the establishment failed her, is monumentally unfair to all the people she expresses gratitude towards for helping her.

From the two swedish cyclists who stopped the rape, pursued and tackled her fleeing rapist, through the nurses who did the rape kit and documented her injuries, the cops who took her statement without judging or humiliating her, all the way to the jury who delivered a guilty verdict to the "nice" college kid: none of them failed her, all of them did the right thing in trying to bring a rapist to justice.

They're not part of some supposed rape culture, and they deserve better than to have their efforts dismissed like that. It's not their fault the judge ruled as he did.
__________________
"You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
"You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Kheldarson Kheldarson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,513
Default

I'm not dismissing their efforts. But their effort is part of the growing counter culture, the culture of consent. But the problem still is that those in power, those with the final say as to the weight of our law, a law which said that for his convicted crimes this criminal deserved several years worth of jail time, found the rapist's situation more important than the victim. His feelings are more important than hers.

The fact that he would be severely impacted by his punishment is being weighed against the severe impact he caused the victim and his has been judged to be greater.

I'm glad that this is getting attention and I'm glad that we have positive examples of what to do around rape. But it doesn't change that we had a judge basically say that "It's ok to rape if you're drunk". Or rich. Or an athlete. That's a repeated theme in rape/sexual assault cases and that’s a large part of what is meant by rape culture. The crime itself isn't treated like any other crime.
__________________
I has a blog!

Last edited by MadMike; 06-09-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 PM
s_stabeler s_stabeler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-laschild View Post
If you drink and then in your impaired state, decide to drive, you're still held accountable. The fact that he shows no remorse and understanding of what he did wrong. He may have been drunk at the time, but after sobering up he seems to still see nothing wrong with having sex with an unconscious woman. Really, her being drunk shouldn't factor in really. She was passed out. If she had been a heavy sleeper or on sleep meds and he was drunk, would it make a difference? If she was sober and he was drunk would it change things? If she was sober she would be able to tell about how she didn't consent but unconscious women can't consent so it still adds up the same.

I get that the lawyer has to put up a defense but if I stole something, lawyer would not be considered to be incompetent or not doing is job if he neglected to argue "but she really really really wanted it." Some arguments shouldn't be considered reasonable to make. Granted that's a problem with our legal system rather than this specific lawyer but either she couldn't remember because she was unconscious (or so drunk she was soon to be unconscious) and couldn't consent or she was sober enough to consent. "She can't say she didn't consent because she was too drunk to consent" shouldn't be a valid argument. Especially when the whole "they were equally drunk and both drunkenly went for it" doesn't even close to apply.
actually, it was the fact HE was drunk i was factoring in. And I agree that what he did wasn't acceptable- note that i still called him a rapist. It's just that I'm not sure that it wasn't a particularly terrible drunken mistake- in which case, a short jail sentence, and forcing him to face up to the fact that he probably shouldn't drink, and making him educate people about what can happen if you drink too much alcohol may well be sufficient.

Then again, I consider jail not really to be retributive as much as to keep criminals away from the rest of the populace while efforts are made to make them productive members of society. (that, and for particularly dangerous offenders, to keep them away from society) and I'm not sure that the kid in this case actually is a danger to most women as long as he stays off the alcohol. I fully support the consequences he's suffered- I don't have sympathy for the rapist suffering- I just think that this was closer to a drunken mistake- that he still should be punished for- than someone who doesn't care about what his actions so.

That, and by my read of it, it's the father making the comments justifying his kid's actions, not the kid.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.