Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

Old 06-30-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheHuckster View Post
Again, it's about planning ahead of time more than anything else. My town's had protests in the streets in the past, and the ones that were actually planned ahead of time, while they still caused disruption, was still something people could plan for. It's the "let's surprise everyone by suddenly shutting down the interstate, and get bystanders fired for being late for work or risk innocent lives" mentality that I'm against.
Nobody suggested that. My first post on this topic was with the question whether or not it is true that you can only get a permit for protesting if you're able to pay for police time and street cleaning.

I do not object to permits being required for protests in public; that is a sensible measure. But I do object to people being required to pay for the priviledge, because that will by necessity mean that poor people have less options for protest than wealthy people do, and that'd just be wrong.
"You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
"You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Old 06-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Canarr View Post
Nobody suggested that.
My remarks are a response to Daskinor, not your remarks.

Regarding paying for services to clean up and protect your protest, I am torn. On one hand, the fee is to directly pay for the services you need. It shouldn't be an arbitrary fee, but rather reimbursement for municipal services. If tax dollars should pay for cleaning up, why shouldn't they also pay for the signs, markers, and all the other materials? Not to mention, protests at such a scale that they require such services are often sponsored by groups funded by donations.

On the other hand, I agree with the idea of as few barriers to protest as possible.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:49 PM

In my state starting tomorrow this will take effect: Following incidents where protesters took to the streets and even interstate highways in Nashville, lawmakers sought to up the penalty for those who illegally obstruct “highways, streets, sidewalks, railways, waterways, elevators, aisles, or hallways” of public access.

This new law increases the Class C misdemeanor fine of $50 to $200 if a person also obstructs an emergency vehicle. During several marches, police vehicles were unable to pass protesters, but allowed the protests to continue without arrest.

Maybe a good beating with pool noodles will set them straight...
Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!