Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

Next in the political playbook: The 25th Amendment...
Old 07-01-2017, 03:11 PM

Default Next in the political playbook: The 25th Amendment...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-grounds.html

Not sure that's what the 25th Amendment is supposed to be used for, but whatever...I don't think it'll succeed.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:01 PM

I mean, he's not mentally fit to be president but that should be obvious to anyone who follows politics.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Actually - that's exactly why it's there. The 25th happened because frankly enough forethought hadn't been done (up until that point) legally to deal with a President that leaves executive decision making in limbo due to health.

The mental functioning of the President of the United States is a health issue.

You're right - it won't go anywhere. But if it doesn't and the President does something absolutely boneheaded that causes us to question the mental faculty of the man, we'll know who to blame in that case. And I should say "anything else" since he's already done plenty.

And I should add - like impeachment, it's up to the Republicans. So there's no "Playbook" here from the Dems side other than pointing out the option exists and when it's not taken, it's squarely on one party's shoulders.

That includes:
* When Trump uses Strongman tactics
* When Trump pisses off historical allies
* When Trump appoints family members to positions of power
* When executive offices fail due to incompetence
* When Trump degrades the office of the President by engaging in juvenile behavior on the World Stage
* When Trump's only conservative Win is Neil Gorsuch (which is really Mitch McConnell's win and even then, that's if the stink of abusing the constitution doesn't make you nauseous)

Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 07-01-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:01 PM

actually, this is probably a good idea- in the sense of designating a committee to judge if the President is unfit- since the 25th amendment actually envisioned such a committee.

it's also worth noting that the 25th amendment is actually an exceptionally poor way to get rid of a sitting President, since the President can keep sending notices of recovery, forcing Congress to vote to keep the Vice-President as Acting President.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
* When Trump uses Strongman tactics
* When Trump pisses off historical allies
* When Trump appoints family members to positions of power
* When executive offices fail due to incompetence
* When Trump degrades the office of the President by engaging in juvenile behavior on the World Stage
* When Trump's only conservative Win is Neil Gorsuch (which is really Mitch McConnell's win and even then, that's if the stink of abusing the constitution doesn't make you nauseous)
Sorry, but none of those rise to the level of what's needed for the 25th Amendment. Neither is "We don't like that this guy won".

Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
I mean, he's not mentally fit to be president but that should be obvious to anyone who follows politics.
By whose standards? Enough people voted for him to get him the requisite number of votes. Obviously those people thought HRC wasn't fit to be president (some would even say she wasn't mentally fit).

So that shoe could go on either foot. Just saying.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
By whose standards? Enough people voted for him to get him the requisite number of votes. Obviously those people thought HRC wasn't fit to be president (some would even say she wasn't mentally fit).

So that shoe could go on either foot. Just saying.
People just didn't like Clinton's policies. It's not just that people don't like Trump's policies, it's that he's doing stuff that's insane. Twitter wars like a petulant little child. Can't stop putting his foot in his mouth. His insane attack on those who have voted in the election. Threatening innocent people. Wanting to build a wall. It goes on and on.

He's sexist as hell. He's racist as hell. Someone with those qualities is not mentally fit to be president.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
People just didn't like Clinton's policies. It's not just that people don't like Trump's policies, it's that he's doing stuff that's insane. Twitter wars like a petulant little child. Can't stop putting his foot in his mouth. His insane attack on those who have voted in the election. Threatening innocent people. Wanting to build a wall. It goes on and on.

He's sexist as hell. He's racist as hell. Someone with those qualities is not mentally fit to be president.

You know, it''s really ridiculous to try to act like the President is "acting insane" to strongly call out those who have been attacking him since he announced his candidacy. People were openly calling for his assassination before he even took office. While it may have been the unofficial policy of the American political establishment for the last few decades to maintain a certain sense of aloofness from mud slinging in office, I don't know if you noticed, things changed over the last decade. Obama also did more than a little sniping at his political opponents, and called out Fox News publically for reporting news in ways he didn't like. He petulantly snarked to his political opponents that"I won the election." He bowed to every foreign potentate he came across. In short, he set the different tone. As for you calling him "sexist and racist", your side has overused those terms to the point that they no longer have any real meaning. To you and the left, anyone who disagrees with them about certain policies or beliefs is "racist" or "sexist", no matter how reasoned or moderate their views are and regardless of whether or not racial or sexist hatred played any part in it.

Also kind of telling that after the furor the left made about the possibility that Trump wouldn't accept the election, once they lost, guess who suddenly wouldn't accept the results of the election? Trying to get electors to defect, demanding impeachment of a President who hadn't even taken office yet? Please. You know, the Soviets proved a long time ago that one of the most common things neo-Bolsheviks and "progressives" use to remove their political opponents from the equation is to try and declare them insane and have them locked up. "He disagrees with our self evident truths? He must be insane!"

I also have to tell you that the approval ratings tell a much different story than your assertion that "people don't like his policies." Yeah, I hated Obama's policies. That didn't stop him, did it? Neither did the Tea Party or other protest groups and the so called "Antifa" thug brigade and the "Resistance" isn't going to stop Trump now.

YOU LOST. Get OVER it and stop slinging mud, or you're going to KEEP losing. A LOT of people are fed up with arrogance from both sides. Populism is making a comeback, and the current political establishment is NOT well liked by the average American. Standing up to them is what GOT Trump into office, and most of us who voted for him want him to keep doing it and holding their feet to the fire.

I don't like everything Trump has done. But when has this country EVER had a President who was perfect?

Last edited by Barracuda; 07-03-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
<snip>
Don't forget, these are also the same people talking about "resisting" and "the resistance", and wearing "Resist" t-shirts. I'd guess many of them don't even know what they're "resist"-ing, and probably couldn't tell you if they were asked, other than just regurgitating talking points.

I'd like to know what's being "resist"-ed. Another donut? Thinking? The Galactic Empire? What?

Old 07-03-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You know, it''s really ridiculous to try to act like the President is "acting insane" to strongly call out those who have been attacking him since he announced his candidacy. People were openly calling for his assassination before he even took office. While it may have been the unofficial policy of the American political establishment for the last few decades to maintain a certain sense of aloofness from mud slinging in office, I don't know if you noticed, things changed over the last decade. Obama also did more than a little sniping at his political opponents, and called out Fox News publically for reporting news in ways he didn't like. He petulantly snarked to his political opponents that"I won the election." He bowed to every foreign potentate he came across. In short, he set the different tone. As for you calling him "sexist and racist", your side has overused those terms to the point that they no longer have any real meaning. To you and the left, anyone who disagrees with them about certain policies or beliefs is "racist" or "sexist", no matter how reasoned or moderate their views are and regardless of whether or not racial or sexist hatred played any part in it.
So, "we are sick of hearing the truth so the truth doesn't mean anything anymore"? Got it.

Quote:
I also have to tell you that the approval ratings tell a much different story than your assertion that "people don't like his policies."
Trump's approval rating is at 37%. Pretty sure that means 63%, a large majority of the country, don't like his policies.

Quote:
YOU LOST. Get OVER it and stop slinging mud, or you're going to KEEP losing. A LOT of people are fed up with arrogance from both sides. Populism is making a comeback, and the current political establishment is NOT well liked by the average American. Standing up to them is what GOT Trump into office, and most of us who voted for him want him to keep doing it and holding their feet to the fire.

I don't like everything Trump has done. But when has this country EVER had a President who was perfect?
So Trump doing the exact crap we hate current politician for is what you want? People who pay to play get to continue to have power? Trump is the exact same as every crappy politician.