Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

Old 10-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuckster View Post
No, and it's hit the main stage and plays a huge part in election campaigns. I've spoken to so many people about issues, and when I ask why they support or don't support a specific issue, they'll tell me point blank, "[politician] supports it." with no other rationale or even understanding of what the issue even is. It's a dangerous mentality that I see from both Democrats and Republicans. Their party is a team that they feel they have to support 100%, any rational discussions be damned.
This reminds me of something I saw recently where some "college students" were presented aspects of Trump's tax plan -- but they were told it was Bernie's. They all thought the things presented were good ideas.

Because, you know, obviously if Bernie came up with them...

Anyway, they were surprised, and there were several "Ummmm..."s when they were told it was actually aspects of Trump's tax plan that they liked.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
This reminds me of something I saw recently where some "college students" were presented aspects of Trump's tax plan -- but they were told it was Bernie's. They all thought the things presented were good ideas.

Because, you know, obviously if Bernie came up with them...

Anyway, they were surprised, and there were several "Ummmm..."s when they were told it was actually aspects of Trump's tax plan that they liked.
A political party or figure has become reduced to a brand. Only there's more loyalty to them than most brands in the traditional sense. Even I drink Pepsi once in a while even though my heart is with Coke. On the political stage, that's treasonous to some people.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
while also going apeshit over "Happy Holidays"
Which has been used for over a thousand years (not exaggerating) to indicate "merry christmas and have a happy new years" but literally has nothing to do with there being other winter holidays and in fact actively ignores them.

Oddly it's the one thing that Political Correctness tried to get rid of was Happy Holidays. When I was a teenager PC people were telling me that saying Happy Holidays is exclusionary because it only acknowledges Christmas and New Years while there is also Kwanzaa and Chuanukah.

Now it's the other group of people attacking PC people for the saying that they were attacking. It's ridiculous.
Smartass

Old 10-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfaire View Post
Now it's the other group of people attacking PC people for the saying that they were attacking. It's ridiculous.
...and we'll get to hear from them very soon. You know, when they start screaming about "persecution" and the "war on Christmas"

Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protege View Post
...and we'll get to hear from them very soon. You know, when they start screaming about "persecution" and the "war on Christmas"
to be fair,there are occasions when I think the war on christmas folks have something of a point- specifically, I have no problem with stores encouraging their staff to use "happy holidays" but you occasionally hear of cases where they go out of their way to avoid any reference to christmas. (although I don't think it's ever actually occurred, renaming christmas trees comes to mind as an example of the kind of thing I'm talking about. Basically, when it gets to the point of eliminating any reference to christmas, even when it would actually make sense to refer to it)

Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 PM

I am starting at a restaurant and will be working there over the holidays my reaction to anyone yelling at me for saying Happy Holidays is going to be to apologize and say I didn't realize that they don't celebrate the New Year.
Smartass

Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Though one could argue that "happy holidays" is only said in the winter...when in fact there are "holidays" year round.

Here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public..._United_States

Unless we're defining holiday differently.

And honestly, people who say "happy holidays" (and the ones who complain you "shouldn't say Merry Christmas") are more than happy to open Christmas presents on Christmas morning -- aren't they?

And how many people do you know who practice Judaism who give people presents on Chanukkah, except for maybe the kids? Do Muslims give each other presents on their "winter holiday" (whatever it may be?). Do Pagans? Or Buddhists?

Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Though one could argue that "happy holidays" is only said in the winter...when in fact there are "holidays" year round.
It's all about context. People have considered the end of the year to be the "Holiday Season" for generations. And I've considered it to include Thanksgiving, not just Christmas, New Years, et al.

Also, contrary to popular belief, for many Christian denominations, while advent and Christmas are important holidays, lent and Easter are often considered the most important observance, especially Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter, since it consists of the very event that pretty much defines Christianity. Christmas is simply celebrated more joyously, while from Ash Wednesday to Easter, the lenten season is more solemn. Easter is more a feast to break from the fast of lent.

Quote:
And how many people do you know who practice Judaism who give people presents on Chanukkah, except for maybe the kids? Do Muslims give each other presents on their "winter holiday" (whatever it may be?). Do Pagans? Or Buddhists?
What difference does it make? People celebrate the end of the year in different ways, and Christmas has become a more secular holiday among those who don't actively practice Christianity. If certain people want to call it "holiday" for themselves, let them. I'm really sick of how people have started a war of words on either side, where you can't say anything without offending someone, becoming an "us vs. them" shitfest.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Do you know why Happy Holidays is only said in the Winter? Because the only two Major Holidays that are within a week of each other celebrated through all of European descendant countries are Christmas and New Year's.

Christmas is on the 25th and New Year's Day is on the 1st. If any other Major Holidays were within a week of each other we would say "Happy Holidays" for them too.

Thanksgiving is an American Holiday and I personally don't consider it to be part of Happy Holidays. The saying is just about the fact that two different holidays are within a week of each other making it the only time of the year when you have two holidays to wish someone good feelings for.
Smartass

Last edited by jackfaire; 11-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
It's all about context. People have considered the end of the year to be the "Holiday Season" for generations. And I've considered it to include Thanksgiving, not just Christmas, New Years, et al.
Oh, sure. I get that. But again: people don't generally buy each other gifts for Thanksgiving or New Years. And to my knowledge (limited as it is) of other religions and practices, most who practice them don't buy each other gifts, either on that particular holiday. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

Quote:
Also, contrary to popular belief, for many Christian denominations, while advent and Christmas are important holidays, lent and Easter are often considered the most important observance, especially Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter, since it consists of the very event that pretty much defines Christianity. Christmas is simply celebrated more joyously, while from Ash Wednesday to Easter, the lenten season is more solemn. Easter is more a feast to break from the fast of lent
Oh, sure. I would absolutely agree that Easter (not being Catholic myself) is seen as more important. Especially considering there are Christian denominations that don't celebrate Christmas at all. But you're also right in that Christmas has become just another Consumer day, and the "meaning" (as it were) is lost on people.

Quote:
If certain people want to call it "holiday" for themselves, let them.
I would say the same for Christmas.

Quote:
I'm really sick of how people have started a war of words on either side, where you can't say anything without offending someone, becoming an "us vs. them" shitfest.
Sure. I understand this. I'm kinda the same way.