Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Old 09-30-2017, 12:52 AM

It matters because if a candidate for President runs on a platform of "I will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it" or a candidate for Senate says, I will oppose the President, those are objectively false statements to run on.

A president doesn't fund things. The Senate can't stop the President from executing his constitutional function. People who do not understand the separation of powers are the ones perpetually angry at the Government for doing things it was never designed to do.

"Why isn't my cheese baking bread? This sucks! I need different cheese!"

Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
It matters because if a candidate for President runs on a platform of "I will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it" or a candidate for Senate says, I will oppose the President, those are objectively false statements to run on.

I can't remember all knowledge all of the time if someone randomly asked me tomorrow about how various taxes work I would sound like a moron. However if a change to the tax code is proposed I can and will research that. When candidates make promises a lot of people research to find out just how feasible those are myself included because I don't remember everything the President can or can't do.

It doesn't matter what someone says on Tuesday so long as they research on Wednsday.Thursday they vote. Tuesday is just a man on the street poll,ambush designed to go, "See your side is full of dummies"
Smartass

Old 10-01-2017, 04:12 AM

Even if it can all be looked up civics still needs to be taught. It's a constant drone of such-and such said she/he was going to do this and then there's huge stink raised when in reality ol'such-and-such can't do a blamed thing because it takes a whole bunch of folks agreeing.
Anyone who thinks/thought that Trump could get a wall built without Chuck and Nancy agreeing to it is foolish at best.
If you know how government works you would see how 99% of what the politicians is BS and they know it but are relying on the public's ignorance and won't call them on it.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanasi View Post
Even if it can all be looked up civics still needs to be taught.
Oh. I agree with this point 100%. Civics absolutely should be taught. My contention with surveys like this is that they are used primarily to be all "Ha ha the other side's dumb"

If survey's like this were being used to push for adding Civics curriculum back into schools I would be all for it. Instead most history classes have become about "Aren't we the greatest country in the world folks you better agree here's all of the awesome shit we did"

My history teacher routinely had to supplement our history book because it was all geared towards American Exceptionalism and continually glossed over not only our atrocities but others as well. The section on World War 2 didn't even mention Concentration camps at all. So he had us read Anne Frank and watch Schindler's List and made a point of telling us about internment camps.

I love this country not in spite of our past or through ignorance of it but because I have seen how shitty our ancestors were and I love that we're better. Not perfect but better.
Smartass