Go Back   Fratching! > General > Politics

The NFL vs. Donald Trump
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 PM

Default The NFL vs. Donald Trump

Thought on this whole "kneeling for the Anthem" dustup?

Personally, I believe that Americans have the freedom to take such actions. I also believe that in doing so they accept any and all consequences of those actions.

I also believe you express frustration with something while at the same time respecting it. For example, having respect for the Military while at the sametime bemoaning how financially wasteful certain projects are.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:08 AM

I understand both sides.

For the record, I do think it's disrespectful. However, it's blown so out of proportion, with people comparing it to people lighting the flag on fire or literally spitting in the face of a veteran. I see it for what it is: a peaceful protest that I think is in the wrong place. Police brutality and other racial problems need to be addressed in this nation, but the message shouldn't be to completely turn one's back on the country. The US needs improvement, no doubt about that. It always has needed improvement throughout its history. That doesn't mean the Star Spangled Banner should be shunned. However, it's a message I cannot in any moral conscience deny someone's freedom to express.

Trump's statement on the issue was completely out of line. First by referring to the protesters as "sons of bitches" and by calling on the NFL to fire the participants. That's supremely unpresidential for someone who is supposed to stand up for the first amendment.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 AM

I think it's completely wrong to be mad at those people for throwing tea into the Boston harbor *gnome whispers in his ear* Oh really?

I don't think it's ever wrong to be protesting. I think that the things they should protest though have to mean something. To a lot of people the Anthem and The Flag represent them personally. I will be honest they do not represent me.

The whole idea behind protesting is to get the conversation moving. If you're quietly taking a knee in an empty room that's not protesting but that seems to be what most people want.
Smartass

Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 AM

This "problem" (if you will) is very, very easy to solve, but still puts the NFL in a no-win situation.

My understanding is that several years back (I believe pre-2009, if I am not mistaken), the Anthem was played before the players took the field.

Solution: Go back to doing that. The anthem gets played, and it essentially eliminates the "on field" protests.

Though the NFL has policies and procedures (note I did not use the word "rules") that say that players should stand for the Anthem. I recently heard someone suggest a change from should to must.

But apparently, Colin Kaepernick sat at first, then asked a guy who was a Green Beret what to do, and he is the one that suggested kneeling. The Green Beret said it's what they do to honor fallen colleagues in the military.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:42 PM

I do know that back in the 70's, when Bud Grant was the coach for the Vikings, he had the players in formation, on the field, during the Anthem. He also made the players practice said formation throughout preseason.

Now to my take on this sitation, for what it's worth.

The players have the right to do what they're doing, 100%. I will support said right. I have the right to not like what they're doing, and also, because of that fact, not watch anymore. Will I burn my Vikings #4 Favre jersey, like a lot of people are doing to their NFL clothing? No. Will I wear it again? I doubt it.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 PM

http://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/

This discusses the situation in good detail.
Smartass

Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 PM

I have mixed feelings on everything:

Prior to Week 3, the only people who protested were doing so for human rights. There's almost never a wrong time to do it (barring say funerals). It was an excellent protest as it was peaceful and it raised a lot of attention. What pissed me off were all the people who complained saying they should protest some other way. And what does that really mean? It means they want them to go protest somewhere else where the protests can be completely ignored. Out of sight, out of mind. People don't want to admit that there are still racial injustices going on. These people want to stick their fingers in their ears and shut their eyes so they don't have to acknowledge other people's suffering.

Then right before Week 3, Trump opened his mouth like the jackass he is and said they should lose their jobs for it. This sparked all the teams to protest. My problem is these players/coaches/owners weren't protesting because they care about human rights. No, they were protesting because rich people don't like being told how to spend their money.

Group 1? Fighting for human rights. Group 2? Just don't like being told what to do, don't give a crap about human rights. Donald Trump? Asshole.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenday View Post

Then right before Week 3, Trump opened his mouth like the jackass he is and said they should lose their jobs for it. This sparked all the teams to protest. My problem is these players/coaches/owners weren't protesting because they care about human rights. No, they were protesting because rich people don't like being told how to spend their money.

Group 1? Fighting for human rights. Group 2? Just don't like being told what to do, don't give a crap about human rights. Donald Trump? Asshole.
There's a theory Trump did this as a deflection to steer the national conversation away from health care/hurricanes/Russia etc. Seems plausible to me.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
There's a theory Trump did this as a deflection to steer the national conversation away from health care/hurricanes/Russia etc. Seems plausible to me.
It's been my working theory since Bill Clinton. Every time there's a huge political scandal that sucks up all of the nation's attention but is visibly dumb (in that it's not worthy of the scandal status we give it) that it's to draw attention from things people would rather the public not pay attention to.
Smartass

Old 09-30-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
Actually, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you there - the President- a government official- was attempting to suppress a legitimate protest. (If he had criticised the protests, it'd be a different story, Actively demanding the NFL fire the players, however, is a step too far. (the NFL do have the right to fire them- however, Trump doesn't have the right to demand they do so)