Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM

The trouble with banning disruptive protest is that the entire goal of protest is to be disruptive. It's a chance for a group of people who feel disenfranchised to publicly, and at cost of effort and time and embarrassment to themselves, let people know they feel things aren't fair. There is a great and cherished history of protesters who have been injured by authorities who felt they were being too "disruptive".

As I write this, in Tahrir Square in Egypt there's a bunch of people being disruptive. We can't deploy special pleading as an argument and say that their protest is righteous (because we like democracy) and that the protest of street preachers is different because they are crazy.

We have to tolerate the speech of others, no matter how vile, in order to preserve our other freedoms that have been won by dissenters and protesters. It's cliche, but their words do really "speak for themselves". Let the children come, and view, and thereby learn about this corrosive and life-destroying gibberish. It's like an inoculation- once they see what religion can do to a person, they may think twice about using it themselves. Like the "before and after" pictures of methamphetamine users that are on billboards in my area.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 AM
The Cure for All Ills

I think Salesmonkey has made some good points. Likely the lawyer arguing the private venue tactic did so because he knew the courts would throw out the public disturbance argument.

These street preachers are using classic civil disobedience tactics: the same methods that led to the Civil Rights Act.

Public mockery is the best defense to these guys. Stage a counter protest and embarrass the hell out of them.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anubite View Post
Not to mention that if they were banned, they would advertise it all over the country as OMG LOOK THE AMERICAN CHRISTIANS ARE BEING PERSECUTED!!!111!ELEVENTY!11!
lol, I love it when they do that.

It's so hard to take these people seriously when they feel persecuted by not being allowed to persecute others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
I think Salesmonkey has made some good points. Likely the lawyer arguing the private venue tactic did so because he knew the courts would throw out the public disturbance argument.

These street preachers are using classic civil disobedience tactics: the same methods that led to the Civil Rights Act.

Public mockery is the best defense to these guys. Stage a counter protest and embarrass the hell out of them.
But I don't even understand what these people are protesting. They aren't fighting for anyones rights or protesting anything unjust. They're just yelling at people telling them that they're going to hell.

I like the idea of a counter protest though.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
The Cure for All Ills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageaholic View Post
But I don't even understand what these people are protesting. They aren't fighting for anyones rights or protesting anything unjust. They're just yelling at people telling them that they're going to hell.
Religion can be an emotionally intense experience. Some people react to the experience in a very unhealthy way; they interpret spreading the Good News as a mandate to shove their newly acquired religious fervor down the throats of other people, with the best of intentions. They genuinely believe they are saving souls by doing this.

What they miss is, faith is an experience that must be entered into freely and willingly, with a complete understanding of what you are getting yourself into. That's why it's taken over 10 years for me to complete my own faith journey. The Catholic Church doesn't just admit someone to membership because they say they want to join. Converts undergo the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, which takes months of study and preparation. It's nothing like what I expected it to be, but I've come away with a much better understanding of what it means to be Catholic, what the Church really is, and what it teaches, and I fully understand what I am entering into and becoming by taking this journey . . . a journey that will not end when I am baptized at Easter.

I think these street preachers have a very superficial understanding of what it really means to be Christian, and its unfortunate that their behavior is negatively impacting the ability of other people to have a good time.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesmonkey View Post
Let the children come, and view, and thereby learn about this corrosive and life-destroying gibberish. It's like an inoculation- once they see what religion can do to a person, they may think twice about using it themselves. Like the "before and after" pictures of methamphetamine users that are on billboards in my area.
It depends on the age of the children. Young children are still at a developmental stage where they will believe everything an adult says. They will believe anything - that's why kids will still leave cookies out for Santa and his reindeer well past their toddler years. Once they hit a certain age, they're able to mentally reason things out and figure out what is or isn't true.

I wouldn't want really young kids standing around listening to some psychopath scream at them, because they wouldn't understand what was going on. Older kids? They'd get more than nightmares out of the experience.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM

I cant believe that the judge through out the private property argument. In Maryland, my mother runs a similar light show called 'Lights on the Bay' and they rent out an entire state park.

We do have the ability to kick people out, and the park rangers are more then happy to do it for us when asked.

Tags
first amendment, free speech, lawsuit, street preachers