Go Back   Fratching! > General > Clash of Cultures

Old 12-07-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarr View Post
From the first article, it sounded like a group of people came to the event with the express purpose of disturbing it, without actually participating in the event itself. From GK's summary, it sounds less like a premeditated interruption or harassment campaign, than rather people who'd been watching the event taking offense at the presentation.
Yeah, that was the impression I got from the articles as well. But no one entered the room to disrupt it ( hell, like 10 people left the room ). Everyone involved were audience members who for the most part sat and listened. When people objected or challenged her on something they said it was in a normal speaking voice if not quieter. No yelling or anything. The "heckling" was a few people in the group chuckling/shaking their heads, etc when she said something they thought was absurd.

The biggest blow up in the entire session was the fault of the organizing professor who stuck his iPhone out at the students in the front row to take their pictures. Then the student organizer that told one of the students in the front row to shut the fuck up. That all created more of a huge commotion than anything the speaker said.

Quote:
This kind of goes towards the point I was trying to make in my OP: while you don't have the right to not be offended, others don't (or shouldn't) have the right to do something with the explicit purpose of offending you.
The whole thing is a good example of free speech not meaning free from consequence. -.-

Quote:
Basically: sure, I have the right to express my opinions, but do I really need to be an asshole about it? If I want to critically discuss Islam, do I absolutely need to have a caricature of Mohammed in that discussion? Or is that only in there to piss someone off?
The cartoon should showed was from Jesus & Mo. The current comic and stirring endorsement from Richard Dawkins on the sidebar should tell you everything you need to know about where on the spectrum between atheism and trolling it sits. >.>

Its not particularity surprising that someone in a room full of Muslims would find it insulting. It looks like the stereotype of the Asshole Atheist in comic form.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Okay... that's a shitty comic. It's not funny, it's not satirical, it doesn't make a good point... it's just a load of, "Hey! Look! Islam is crappy! Cos I say so!"