Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 PM
Apathetic Atheist

As I recall, it's an elected position. She would have to be impeached (or the equivalent) or voted out.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghel View Post
As I recall, it's an elected position. She would have to be impeached (or the equivalent) or voted out.
Correct, they couldn't just fire her and I believe it was something where they were on break so it would have required a special session to handle it right away which would have costed tax payer money.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 PM

Not to mention the uber-conservatives would have made her even more of a martyr than she was before. Somebody could have said it was religious discrimination.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:29 AM

Doesn't sound like a position really worth having an election for. :P

Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 AM

yes, but in America, a lot of positions are elected that would be filled by appointment elsewhere. I know of places in America, for example, that have elected coroners.(as a matter of fact, while elections for school boards/governors (whatever is appropriate for your country) are fairly common globally- though not usually for the whole board- I think the US is the only one where the members of the school board HAVE to be elected by popular vote.(I don't know if it is a popular election of the parents, or of the community- I live in the UK, where Parent Governors are elected by a popular vote of the parents of the kids attending the school)

Basically, in America, if it's a government post, then, if the relevant entity decides to, it can be filled via election. (yes, that includes the Federal Government. they just don't tend to except the mandatory ones.)

Old 06-04-2016, 04:54 AM

Not by the parents. It's on the general election ballot. It may vary, especially since my town is a bit odd in that, despite a population of only about 5,000, it has its own school system, but for school board purposes, as with the city council, the town is divided into four or five wards which each elects its own member.