Go Back   Fratching! > Semi-topical > Suggestions

Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the reminder.

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I have some concerns about an Off Topic section here at Fratching, and I thought I'd share them here and get some feedback from everyone.

As it stands now, every thread here is fair game for debate. Even if someone decides to post about their personal issues (in say, "Things I Hate"), there is an understanding that people may disagree with something they've said or how they've handled the issue.

Fratching is, after all, a debate forum.

If we add an Off Topic section, the question becomes, "Do the same rules apply here as in the rest of the forum?" If someone posts something in the Off Topic section, can they expect to receive only support and friendly suggestions, or are people allowed to debate with them?

Having separate rules for different sub-forums can become messy. And I don't want to see people posting about potentially controversial issues in the Off Topic section knowing that no one can argue with them.

On the other hand - allowing debate about a member's personal life can also get messy. We've seen that happen already.

Thoughts?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM

I say if they post something in an Off Topic section let others debate with them, that's the point of the board as a whole yes?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

I would think every forum is open to debate.

I am wondering if, instead of "Off Topic" we give it a different name to indicate that it's a bit of a "catch-all" forum for topics that don't fit anywhere else.

After all, I really think that was the intent when the idea was suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytical View Post
Sometimes I am not sure where to put something, because it does not seem to fit any of the other categories. I would like to suggest an Off topic section, that covers 'everything else'.

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 AM

Yes. In my opinion there would be no need for special rules, if something is posted in such a thread it would still be up for debate. As for what to call it *shrugs* 'Off topic', 'Everything else', 'Rants', or whatever .

Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytical View Post
As for what to call it *shrugs* 'Off topic',
I think the name is very important, and that's Boozy's point.
"Off Topic" gives an implication that it's a forum free from the subject of the rest of the board. There is a legitimate concern that some may think that means it's also a section that's free from debate.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM

*nods* Would 'Everything Else' be any better?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post
I think the name is very important, and that's Boozy's point.
"Off Topic" gives an implication that it's a forum free from the subject of the rest of the board. There is a legitimate concern that some may think that means it's also a section that's free from debate.
Thanks for putting it more succinctly than I could, Ree.

If everyone is on board with the idea that an "off topic" section, whatever it is called, is still for debate, then I think we could move forward.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

looks like it's in place now, interesting title for it btw.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 AM

Yes . I love the name!