Go Back   Fratching! > Semi-topical > Suggestions

Memberships
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default Memberships

I know the topic was discussed on CS.com, and I asked questions there, but has there been any discussion here about possibly charging for membership dues? Or perhaps making it voluntary? I dunno a lot about doing all of this forum stuff, but I wouldn't mind pitching in a few dollars, especially since I have a steady income.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Chaos is cool.

What about those of us who live from hand to mouth and couldn't afford to pay for membership? Should we be excluded and be unable to post here cuz we can't afford to pay?

I'd suggest a donation button as a better suggestion; that way, anyone who wants to chip in a few quid can do so, rather than making it compulsory.

Edit: I did see where you said "voluntary"; I'm mainly replying to the membership thing.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

Oh, well I simply didn't have a better word for it. Of course if you can't pay, you shouldn't be obligated to. I don't think Raps would do that anyway.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM

I do believe this topic has been brought up before, and Raps had declined because he wants to retain full control of the board and its contents. Accepting other peoples' money means that people are more entitled to demanding change. This way, Raps gets to keep things the way he wants them.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Some balding guy

No intention of that at the moment.

Main reason is that this place is a good release valve for the other sites I run (it's more than that, but that's the main purpose - keeps them ticking along nicely), and I value the communities enough to fork out to keep them going.

Also worth noting that I used to be a minor admin on a game that ran itself on donations. Any disciplinary action involving anyone who had donated resulted in them pulling the, "I paid for this game!" card. Yeah, it was mentioned in the rules. Still happened. Ended up quite a few people being refunded.

Interestingly, even though I've not been there for some time, I've checked the rules and you can get out of disciplinary by paying now. Shrug.

Besides which, it's all paperwork. Never underestimate how much I hate paperwork.

Rapscallion

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

I know you value the community, Raps, and I understand what std is saying, but wouldn't it be nice to just have the option? Also, most people here are CSers, so I would assume they know that it'd be voluntary and how not to be a cock about it.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
I would assume they know that it'd be voluntary and how not to be a cock about it.
Hmmm...one would think that, but that's where assuming gets you.

Some people can find any excuse to act like a cock.
As Raps said, some people see a paid membership as a chance to do whatever they wish without repercussions because they paid to be a member.

Seriously, I fail to see why anyone would suggest voluntarily paying for a membership when it's already free.

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post

Seriously, I fail to see why anyone would suggest voluntarily paying for a membership when it's already free.
Because this stuff has to cost a bit, and it'd be the nice thing to do to help out Raps. I've already noted that "membership" was a misnomer for what I meant.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Monster

If you offer someone something and they politely decline, it's best to just leave it at that

Old 09-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

I really don't know what you're getting at, Blas.

Anyway, I mainly brought it up because we discussed it on CS. Although, I can't remember rightly who started that conversation, and I don't think I can access it.