Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Polygamy
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Constant nag

Default Polygamy

Hey gang.

This came up the other day on my radio current affairs slot.

Should polygamy be legal?

This is part of it...

My thoughts are that what a person or persons choose to do in their own homes that has no real effect on anyone else is up to them. So, I think, sure - legalise it, and those who wish to object can just keep their nose out of somebody else's business.

(I've another though, but I'm going to see what the responses are here first...)

Slyt

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM

As long as everybody is willing, and everyone involved knows about each other, and doesn't care, I don't care. You want to be one of 10 spouses competing for the love of your life? Go for it. Not my cup of tea, but it's not my problem.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytovhand View Post
Should polygamy be legal?
yes, but with qualifiers.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytovhand View Post
My thoughts are that what a person or persons choose to do in their own homes that has no real effect on anyone else is up to them.
a former coworker of mine had two "wives" one he was legally married to(she was on disability), the other was perfectly healthy. The perfectly healthy one has a child, and since she is not legally married to him, the state says she's a single mother, and even though the three of them can well afford to support the child(the have enough money for MMORPGS(3 accounts each), Cable with all the pay channels(over $150/month) and about 4 different extracurricular activities/lessons, yet the child's mother is on public assistance.
So what they're doing does have an effect on me.

*I'd say the qualifiers should be if you are going to be legally married you should have to prove that you can afford to support yourselves and any children you may have(remember the guy convicted in Utah had 8 wives-all on public assistance, and also "married" several of his step daughters). All the wives/husbands must be of legal age(of course), and they must ot be related to you(no children, stepchildren, cousins, etc.)

Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Speaking as someone who has lived in a co-monogamous relationship for the past three years yes it should be legal. A triad (which is what we called what we had) can be more stable, better able to deal with crisis and dealing with the needs of the children and supportive and loving than some "normal" one man-one woman marriages I have seen.

I will agree that it should be restricted, like all marriages should be, to consenting adults, that are not closely related. As for the finincial responsibility thing unless you make that for all marriages as well then there should not be any other restrictions.

I say had because we fell victim to the hatred,intolerance and ignorance of those who dislike seeing someone else have something not "socially acceptable" and the CPS and my exstepson worked together to drive us apart.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Sure, if it includes polyandry in there, too. Hardly ever see that around here.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sure, if it includes polyandry in there, too. Hardly ever see that around here.
Today 10:50 AM
Yeah sure why not. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 AM

OMG!!! I'd be right there, signing up if I can practice polyandry.

Actually, a friend of mine and I are both fantasizing about up and leaving our current hubs (not going to do it per se, just imagining) and we realized this: We each need a wife & we need at least 3 husbands (1 for the cooking, 1 for the cleaning and at least 1 for the bedroom ). The wife would do the errands we don't want to do. *le sigh*

Ahem ... yes, well ... back to reality.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Well, technically, polygamy is polyandry AND polygyny, so the OP is inclusive of both.

Yay!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I would like to see 'civil families' of any number of adults in any configuration. The family thus formed would have the civil rights of a current family, and also the civil responsibilities.

They'd be a family for tax purposes (thus having a bit of tax relief) but also for welfare purposes (thus preventing them from rorting the welfare system as BlaqueKatt mentioned).

They'd be next of kin as a family is, enabling them to be with each other in hospital. And as a family, they would have responsibility for any children of any part of the family unit.

And I don't see a need for these 'civil families' to be based on who is having sex with whom. If a son is carer for his ailing mother, or a mother carer for her disabled son, they may as well have the legal protections of being a family!

I don't have all the bugs worked out, so yes, there are several gaping and obvious holes in the plan.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmota View Post
As for the finincial responsibility thing unless you make that for all marriages as well then there should not be any other restrictions.

it's significantly more difficult for a two-person "family" to get any kind of assistance-even when my ex-husband and I were seperated pending divorce, I couldn't work, he wasn't paying support but because I was married my spouse's income was taken into account-so I got nothing to support myself and my child-I had to have my mother's boyfriend take care of us-while my previous coworker in a stable relationship got food stamps, free medical care for herself and her child-while one was on disability, and two worked full time(they're still getting all that plus rent assistance-I had no income and got nothing)