Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #11  
Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Nekojin Nekojin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The First Amendment clearly states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech....
I seem to have missed the part in the Bible that states, "Thou shalt vote Republican, and advertise for their campaigns."

Keep the politics out of religion, keep the religion out of politics. Pastors using their pulpit to advocate political issues or politicians is little more than using the influence of their station to push a personal agenda.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
bara bara is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekojin View Post
Keep the politics out of religion, keep the religion out of politics. Pastors using their pulpit to advocate political issues or politicians is little more than using the influence of their station to push a personal agenda.
A good argument for keeping religion out of politics is prohibition. Which was primarily forced down peoples throats by many protestant religious groups at the time.


Nothing good came from this 'noble' experiment.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Andara Bledin's Avatar
Andara Bledin Andara Bledin is offline
Accepting of Differences
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sou Cali
Posts: 7,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bara View Post
A good argument for keeping religion out of politics is prohibition. Which was primarily forced down peoples throats by many protestant religious groups at the time.
Interestingly enough, while prohibition's roots are firmly seated in religion, so were it's staunchest opponents (including the Roman Catholic Church, who held that the government should not define morality).

What really pushed it through, however, was plain old xenophobia. Alcohol was mostly sold in pubs, and pubs were mostly in city centers, and city centers were primarily filled with immigrants. The declaration of war against Gernamy essentially silenced all German-Americans, who were heavily on the wet side. Add in that women's suffrage was often tacked on with prohibition (women being the most common champions of the idea at the time, since it was largely men who drank to excess), and that added a whole new political angle that is often overlooked. And last, but not least, the income tax had just been re-introduced with wording to keep it from being repealed again, and it was believed that the funds from that would cover the shortfall that prohibition would introduce.

^-.-^
__________________
Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Rapscallion's Avatar
Rapscallion Rapscallion is offline
Some balding guy
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The First Amendment clearly states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech....
I disagree. They can say what they want. However, they have to expect to be treated like everyone else.

No taxation without representation? Works the other way as well.

Rapscallion
__________________
Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
Reclaiming words is fun!
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Duelist925 Duelist925 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I disagree. They can say what they want. However, they have to expect to be treated like everyone else.

No taxation without representation? Works the other way as well.

Rapscallion
Pretty much this. If you want to play, ya gotta pay.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Hyena Dandy's Avatar
Hyena Dandy Hyena Dandy is offline
Omnomnom
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,415
Default

I don't mind churches not being taxed - In the same manner other non-profits should not be taxed. Not a different one. With practically no oversight of spending, there's no way to make sure that... Well... They're really non-profit.

If they don't get anyone looking at their expenses, how do you know they're NOT participating in politics?
__________________
"Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Jason Jason is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I disagree. They can say what they want. However, they have to expect to be treated like everyone else.

No taxation without representation? Works the other way as well.

Rapscallion
Then propose an amendment.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
crashhelmet's Avatar
crashhelmet crashhelmet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Churches were completely free to preach about candidates from the day that the Constitution was ratified in 1788 until 1954. That’s when the rule known as the ‘Johnson Amendment’ was enacted. Churches are exempt from taxation under the principle that there is no surer way to destroy religion than to begin taxing it. As the U.S. Supreme Court has noted, the power to tax involves the power to destroy. The real effect of the Johnson Amendment is that pastors are muzzled for fear of investigation by the IRS.

In 1954, Johnson was facing re-election to the Senate and was being aggressively opposed by two non-profit anti-Communist groups that were attacking Johnson’s liberal agenda. In retaliation, Johnson inserted language into the IRS code that prohibited non-profits, including churches, from endorsing or opposing candidates for political office. In effect, Senator Johnson used the power of the go-along Congress and the IRS to silence his opposition. Unfortunately, it worked. Some in Johnson’s staff claimed that Johnson never intended to go after churches, only the two “nonprofits” in Texas. Nevertheless, his sly amendment to the tax code affected every church in America, and it is a violation of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

The First Amendment clearly states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech....
Did you write this article or did you just lift your entire paragraph from it?

Here's a pretty good article showing both sides of the argument, citing Supreme Court cases int he process.
From FindLaw.com

The truth of the matter is that these pastors can easily get around this law. It only obstructs them from influencing in an official setting. So in other words, from the pulpit or within the church itself. That doesn't stop them from encouraging their parishioners as a "normal citizen" or at events without ties to their church.
__________________
Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Aethian Aethian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I disagree. They can say what they want. However, they have to expect to be treated like everyone else.

No taxation without representation? Works the other way as well.

Rapscallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Then propose an amendment.
Jason, you realize Raps isn't American right?
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Rapscallion's Avatar
Rapscallion Rapscallion is offline
Some balding guy
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethian View Post
Jason, you realize Raps isn't American right?
I'm also easily amused.

Rapscallion
__________________
Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
Reclaiming words is fun!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.