Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Let's teach our kids how to hate homosexuals!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Default Let's teach our kids how to hate homosexuals!

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/e...ide-kids130912

Basically, a Christian hate group chose to publish a guide that teaches homophobia to people! Lovely! Better yet, it enocurages parents to spread it to kids!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 PM

As such things go, this seems pretty mild.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 PM

I'm sorry, I don't see how it is a "hate" pamphlet. Just seems like another religious pamphlet one can find in any church that shows their beliefs. I do like, however, that it does say (basically) not to bully and to still stick up for someone who is being bullied. I don't care if someone is gay/straight/both/none/other, but like HYHYBT said, this is really mild.

Now, if it was something along the lines of "shun the faggots and dykes" that is more, IMO, a "hate" pamphlet.

Probably just semantics on my part.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM

It may be mild, but it's still hate. Bullying a gay kid is wrong, but telling them they're going to hell is okay? Considering the high suicide rates among LGBT youth, the one thing those kids need to hear over and over again is "gay is okay." So is being overweight, for that matter.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM

It's suggesting that being overweight and being gay are similar because "people shouldn't be bullied for being overweight but they also shouldn't be encouraged to overeat."

Even if one believes homosexuality is a sin, they cannot ignore the fact that it's not something someone chooses to be, and when one tells someone else that they, in so many words, have to stop feeling homosexual thoughts, those are especially hurtful comments because even if they wanted to stop, they can't.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuckster
Even if one believes homosexuality is a sin, they cannot ignore the fact that it's not something someone chooses to be
Of course they can ignore that fact... and when they can't ignore it, they deny it flat out.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Agreed. Even given all the scientific, psychological, and personal evidence to the contrary, some people are just absolute sticklers for the idea that 'it's a choice' or 'it's a lifestyle' and will not hesitate to scream that falsity into every face they come across. I think it's denial. If they accepted the scientific evidence that it's not a choice and in fact an inborn trait, then they'd have to face the fact they've been stupid judgemental dickwads and treating other people like garbage.

My favorite 'theory' is the idea that people fall into homosexuality because it's 'addictive'...they experiment and they get hooked on it, like a drug. Funny thing is, they don't like it when I point out that you cannot actually be an alcoholic or a heroin addict if you have never tasted alcohol or heroin to begin with.

I'm a virgin who hasn't so much (yet) as kissed another girl. I am gay.

Explain exactly how I became addicted to something I haven't even had yet?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Rogers and Hammerstein pointed out that hate has to be taught in South Pacific. "You got to get them while their young." Looks like that message still hasn't sunk in yet.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleduke17 View Post
I'm sorry, I don't see how it is a "hate" pamphlet. Just seems like another religious pamphlet one can find in any church that shows their beliefs. I do like, however, that it does say (basically) not to bully and to still stick up for someone who is being bullied. I don't care if someone is gay/straight/both/none/other, but like HYHYBT said, this is really mild.

Now, if it was something along the lines of "shun the faggots and dykes" that is more, IMO, a "hate" pamphlet.

Probably just semantics on my part.
I have to agree with this.

We're suppose to be a country where everyone is free to think what they want. But these days, it's popular to try to criminalize people's beliefs by calling it "hate speech" if we dislike what they think.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 PM

I object to these pamphlets because they teach poor manners. It's not anyone's place to criticize or correct another person unless their opinion is sought or they are the parent/guardian/personal responsible for the person they are correcting.

That follows for manners, grammar, sexual identity, eating habits, clothing choices, career, choice of school, choice of pet, nail polish, and more.

Few people want to spend time with a busybody. These folks are just grooming their children to be social outcasts.