Go Back   Fratching! > General > Clash of Cultures

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Chaos is cool.

Exactly what Raps said. Tho I seem to have had much better history teachers as a whole, cuz I love history and always have done. XD

Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Reminds me of the movie "The Beautician and the Beast." Timothy Dalton plays the "beast" and is a dictator in a small European nation. He's teaching his kids a history lesson, where he was single-handedly responsible for winning wars and bringing change to the world.

Made me wonder what it's like in real world nations like that. North Korea, for example?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Thats why I do my own research outside of school.

I just recently watched a documentary on the aftermath of the Civil War. History teachers just stop after Lincoln was killed and move to World War I. The Civil War lasted a lot longer than people are taught.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Fratchimungousaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenday View Post
My friends in Florida called the American Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression". I laughed pretty hard at that one.
*shrug* While I have very seldom heard the CW referred to in that way (even from other Southerners), I can certainly understand why people down heah would see it that way Of course, it probably would have been termed something even nastier had the South won. (I do think that slavery would have died out anyway if so, it just would have taken longer. It's not like the plantation owners were the only people benefiting from it...but that's another thread for another day).

Terms used are funny like that -- there was, after all, a century or so of what was, at least to a not-insignificant extent, financial (and other) oppression of the South that is laughably referred to as "Reconstruction" after the CW. ~_~ So yes, sometimes the winners DO write the history books and get dibs on the names to be used

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex1218 View Post
Thats why I do my own research outside of school.

I just recently watched a documentary on the aftermath of the Civil War. History teachers just stop after Lincoln was killed and move to World War I. The Civil War lasted a lot longer than people are taught.
We did just a quick chapter or two (lasting about two weeks) in American History about Reconstruction. World War II was about two weeks (I think) and anything after WWII was rushed through in about three days (in a "By the way Vietnam, Korea, moon landing, etc all happened. Have a great summer")

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Fratchimungousaur

Same thing when I was in (pre-college) school. Anything after WWII was pretty much all lumped into one chapter, and unlikely to even be on the final.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKei View Post
Same thing when I was in (pre-college) school. Anything after WWII was pretty much all lumped into one chapter, and unlikely to even be on the final.
American History after WWII: What was yesterday's date?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 AM

Here is how my history education played out:
Coupled with English lessons in Queens, New York
3rd grade was on the Revolutionary War
4th no history
5th was mostly on Aztec and Mayans
6th was on Roman and Greek history

Moved to where I am now
7th was random geography
8th was on the Civil War mostly, but only about the war itself. Then we went a bit backwards and I had to read the Greivences (sp?) on the Declaration of Independance
9th had no history lesson
10th was ancient history then we as a class chose to learn WWI and WWII
11th was WWI-modern times ('08)
12th had no history class

The college course I took had history, but the teacher was useless. Mostly gave opinions on stuff than taught.

I love learning about history. Right now I am stuck on the Tudor history (thanks to my 12th grade english teacher, hilariously enough).

Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 AM

Is centrism for history fairly common, or is it mainly in younger countries? Say, in England are there different regional histories told? Essex vs Dover, for example?
I went to elementary, middle, and high school in California; so living in Texas, I don't know why, but I am continually surprised that the kids don't know the same stuff as I did when I was their age.
In California history was: Revolutionary War, some War of 1812, the colonization of California by Spain, skip straight to Gold Rush, statehood, and Civil War.
ETA: I lived in San Diego so even state history was from a San Diego-centric point of view.

Last edited by violiav; 11-15-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM

I know a lot of kids in PA I went to university with had history classes that focused on their state. We didn't do that in my school.

History classes in middle school mainly focuses on the events leading up the the American Revolution and would finish with WWII. History in 8th grade started with the Magna Carta and finished with how WWII shaped the world.

In high school, the first semester of history started with the Magna Carta and finished right before WWI. My second semester, my first teacher skipped WWI (If she knew any history of wars I'd be surprise), taught a bunch of random stuff that happened in the US between the two world wars, then the teacher who took over the class taught a shit ton about WWII including the Africa campaign and Pacific Campaign. She knew her stuff.

College, I took a gen ed history course. Started before the Magna Carta, back when the Ottoman Empire was around, how that shaped Europe and the trade routes to the rest of the world. Magna Carta, US settlement in great detail, slave trade, American Revolution, Civil War, WWI, and WWII.

Never had a class go beyond WWII. I spoke to my little cousin's class when I came home from Afghanistan about my experiences. It blew my mind when some kid asked why we are fighting there. I didn't realize until that point that the kids in his class weren't alive for 9/11. 9/11 was something they've only heard about in their text books.