Go Back   Fratching! > General > Clash of Cultures

Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 AM

I forgot something- almost all of my history classes talked about ancient man crossing over the bearing straight to north America.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Fridge Monkey

It's been a while, but tbh I don't think America was even meantioned once in my History classes save for being listed as an alie in both the world wars, what the Americans did came second fiddle to our POV and the Japanese (fighting primarily against the States) might not as well have been listed as enemies as unless it was fought with British soldiers, whichever battle unless frigging important, was just ignored.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM

In 5th grade we covered Arkansas history, and also took a trip to the Old State House and Capitol Building where we got to meet our Representative and Governor. Sadly, I missed Clinton by a couple of years, so I got my picture with Jim Guy Tucker...who was later kicked out of office because of the Whitewater scandal, sent to jail, and died. Oh well.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Tea View Post
It's been a while, but tbh I don't think America was even meantioned once in my History classes save for being listed as an alie in both the world wars, what the Americans did came second fiddle to our POV and the Japanese (fighting primarily against the States) might not as well have been listed as enemies as unless it was fought with British soldiers, whichever battle unless frigging important, was just ignored.
That reminds me, we actually did talk about the events leading up to WWI outside of the US in my 10th grade class (15-16). Shocker, really. It wasn't all Americanized like most people are taught.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how was D-Day taught to you?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Fridge Monkey

Honestly can't remember what the schools taught, but don't get my post wrong, we were aware of American soldiers fighting, but we focused on Tommies effort against the Jerries.

I in no way meant to imply that what America did wasn't important and D-Day as stated was frigging important, it's the asia pacific aspects of the war I know sod all about save from hollywoodified history.

If there were any American only fights in Europe, they were listed as Allied forces bla bla bla and as we were also Allied forces, well unless specificly emphasised by the teacher any and all accounts of Allied forces were autocorrected to mean us not US.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Honestly can't remember what the schools taught, but don't get my post wrong, we were aware of American soldiers fighting, but we focused on Tommies effort against the Jerries.

I in no way meant to imply that what America did wasn't important and D-Day as stated was frigging important, it's the asia pacific aspects of the war I know sod all about save from hollywoodified history.

If there were any American only fights in Europe, they were listed as Allied forces bla bla bla and as we were also Allied forces, well unless specificly emphasised by the teacher any and all accounts of Allied forces were autocorrected to mean us not US.
I was just curious, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Just wondering how it was handled in history there.

I know very little of the Pacific Theatre battles outside of Pearl Harbor, Midway and Iwo Jima. (Hiroshima and Nagasaki not included).

Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Fridge Monkey

Most of our WWII lessons were when I was in primary school around 10ish, we had bits here and there throughout secondary school (perhaps cos I changed school I sat it twice?).
Perhaps they thought if they got something full of explosions early people would get hooked and want to know more about history in general, we had a lesson here and there on something which was always out of sync with a fortnightly magazine called discovery which I did enjoy reading, even if it wasn't comprehensive.

The whole start of WWI I found out about way later during a BBC documentory or a bought in Discovery/History Channel show on one of the comercial stations, I can't recall if it was before or after I had heard of the band Franz Ferdinand.

We've been at war with the french god knows how many times, yet aside from the Norman conquest (which was pre france AFAIK) I have no idea how many times we lost as we were never taught about 'those' wars, you will notice the lack of capitalization there, I've started to say the Normans hated the french as much as we do that they 'invaded' our country to get away from them and we said "we'll point out our king by putting an arrow over his head."

Sod what really happened in those days, unless the tardis is around, history to me is rarely touched upon although I have started to watch the bbc's Nazi's a warning from history on bbc Iplayer though yeolde roman numerals I think were saying 1990's although I'm not sure, was always crap at those so can never date a BBC program before the MM's

Edit:
All war movies made at the time were propaganda, yet I wonder how many German/Italian movies of the time survived, although I might get hazy on which are post war movies, I can name quite a few British war movies, American ones might be post war as they were mostly John Wayne ones I saw, yet my knowlege of German cinema of the time is scant, basically it goes Metropolis and other Fritz Lang movies, nothing then Lola Rent (Run Lola Run).

Last edited by Ginger Tea; 11-15-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 PM

There are a number of excellent German films on WWII, the Holocaust, and the post-war period...my favorites are Mephisto and The Lives of Others. Not German, but honorable mention goes to Conspiracy, about the Wannsee Conference where the Final Solution was approved.

ETA: Forgot to mention Goodbye, Lenin about the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Fridge Monkey

Are they made during the war though?
My concern is in light of his book burnings, did we do the same with the films showing the Nazi's as the good guys to blitz torn Germans before things went south, for example the movie shown at the end of Inglorious Bastards (although that one wasn't real obv.).

Granted alot would be anti Semetic, but I'm sure there would be quite alot like our movies where it was just average soldiers fighting in the trenches and winning small victories killing many a Tommy or American.