Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Woman dies after being denied an abortion because "this is a Catholic country"
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Default Woman dies after being denied an abortion because "this is a Catholic country"

Long story short, this poor woman was admitted to hospital while suffering a miscarriage. She requested a termination several times over the next few days, which was repeatedly refused as the foetus still had a heartbeat (even though there was zero chance of it surviving). The woman died in hospital a week later.

One of the requests for a termination was met with a reply of "this is a Catholic country".

This story is causing uproar in Ireland at the moment, as well it should be. Granted, abortion is legal if the mother's life is in danger, but the law is so vague that doctors are treading on eggshells every time they consider it.

Sometimes I swear this country never made it out of the Middle ages.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html

Last edited by static; 11-16-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM

I saw this earlier and it broke my heart. Good job doctors, you just killed two people instead of saving one and allowing the other pass on in a way that no longer threatened the mother's life.

I feel so bad for that woman's family. Not only do they suffer the heartbreak of her miscarriage, but they also lost her. I hope this lights a fire under their butts.

I also hope this gets the fanatics in the USA to STFU for a while, but I doubt it will. They'll probably start slamming on their drums saying that the heathen slut deserved to die. (Yes, I have heard the opinion that a woman who would consider an abortion deserves to die if she is denied one and has to take extreme, life threatening measures.)

Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
The Cure for All Ills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
I also hope this gets the fanatics in the USA to STFU for a while, but I doubt it will. They'll probably start slamming on their drums saying that the heathen slut deserved to die. (Yes, I have heard the opinion that a woman who would consider an abortion deserves to die if she is denied one and has to take extreme, life threatening measures.)
I haven't even heard this story in the US yet. It makes me very sad. Absolutely abortion should be done to save the mother. Unfortunately the whole issue is so wrapped up in emotion that cooler heads can't prevail.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
This story is causing uproar in Ireland at the moment, as well it should be. Granted, abortion is legal if the mother's life is in danger, but the law is so vague that doctors are treading on eggshells every time they consider it.
and there are currently two separate investigations being run on the hospital now....

Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
I haven't even heard this story in the US yet. It makes me very sad. Absolutely abortion should be done to save the mother. Unfortunately the whole issue is so wrapped up in emotion that cooler heads can't prevail.
I'm in the USA too. I saw it on one of my news feeds in the morning and was going to post it here but I figured it wouldn't be able to keep a cool head myself and start spouting things I shouldn't. (Like generalizing all Catholics need to STFU when I know better and it's just the fanatics.)

I just don't get it. We don't force emergency personal like EMTs to put themselves at risk to save someone else, they have the choice, why is the idea okay for some people to put the mother at risk and kill her even though the baby is going to die anyway? It boggles!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Atheist

What a disgusting travesty. Behold the consequences of faith-based laws.

I'm glad to see people in Ireland are raising a stink over this.

I imagine if enough of a stink gets raised, Ireland's religious apologists, pro-"lifers" and other Bullshit Mountain-climbers will start squealing about how they're being persucted and victimized. If so, their cries will be music to my ears.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM

It's worth pointing that the Irish Supreme court ruled that abortion should be legal if it threatened the life of the mother twenty years ago, but no legislation was ever passed (we're on our seventh government since that ruling). In 2010 the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Ireland's abortion laws violated basic human rights, but again, nothing was done. To date, there's no legislation on what to do in a situation like Savita's. The only actual law we have dates back to 1861 (yes, that's an eight) when Ireland was still part of the Commonwealth. That's why the doctors refused to act- they'd be stepping into a legal minefield if they did.

Also, multiple surveys over the past fifteen years have indicated that the majority of Irish people support abortion if it's medically necessary, a smaller proportion think it should be available on demand and less than 18% think it should be outright banned. It's generally easy for women who want abortions to travel to England for them (you can get a return flight for less than €30), which has allowed politicians who are too cowardly to tackle the issue to avoid it lest they upset the few who actually like things the way they are.

Ireland isn't nearly as Catholic as it's made out to be- the numbers are inflated because religion is seen almost more as a hereditary thing than a personal one. My mum was an atheist but everyone always called her a Catholic because that's what my grandparents are. Similarly, my school records all say I'm Catholic because I'm not religious so they put it down by default. People I went to school with identified themselves as Catholic or Protestant but admitted to not believing in God. My cousin had to ask my aunt if she (the cousin) was Catholic or protestant when she was filling out the last census. The strict Catholics have become a minority in the past 20 years, and they're rapidly becoming more and more of a minority. Eamonn Gilmore, Ireland's Tánaiste (deputy Prime Minister), is an atheist who regularly speaks out against the Catholic Church and I'd say no one's more sickened than him.

Here are interviews with some of the protesters from last night. There's another big one planned for Saturday, I'll probably head along to that.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking48.html

*edit* It just has to be said: the religion she died for wasn't even her own.

**edit**

Quote:
I've seen comments to that effect already, as well as people blaming her for getting pregnant in the first place. If they'd bothered to learn about the story they'd know that she was married and wanted to have the baby. She was upset when she found out she was losing it but accepted what was happening and simply asked doctors to get the inevitable over with.

Last edited by static; 11-16-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
why is the idea okay for some people to put the mother at risk and kill her even though the baby is going to die anyway? It boggles!
this article explains it pretty well.

Quote:
They started with a predetermined conclusion, which is that nothing—not even the will to live—matters more than being a life support system for a fetus, even if it’s dying naturally. They then created a bullshit rationale to justify it.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
this article explains it pretty well.
It explains it, but that doesn't mean I'm no longer boggling over it.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
Long story short, this poor woman was admitted to hospital while suffering a miscarriage. She requested a termination several times over the next few days, which was repeatedly refused as the foetus still had a heartbeat (even though there was zero chance of it surviving). The woman died in hospital a week later.
Yeah. I thought the depths of evil had been well and truly plunged when the Church came out and intervened in the case of the 12 year old rape victim getting an abortion - their position being that the little girl should die just so they could act all holy because they tried to save a pair of babies that would have died anyway.

Now, the position appears to be, let the mother die even though her baby was already dead.

Nice work, Catholic Church. What's next?