Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM

This case has been one of the most tragic and insane things I've heard in quite a while.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM

This is truly and utterly disgusting. I feel pure disgust and anger to my core for what this poor woman went through and what her family has to now go through. It's not like she just wanted an abortion because she didn't want the child. The doctors told her specifically that the baby would not make it. She was clearly suffering and not doing well. Even after she collapsed, they still wouldn't do anything?!? Disgraceful and morally repugnant! I... I just have no words strong enough for what I feel.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM

There are protests outside the Irish embassy in India now. Our Health Service Executive has said that the report on her death should be finished in the next few days.

I'm glad the world is taking notice of this. It's been too easy for too long for our politicians to turn a blind eye to the issue.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM

<checks to make sure this is fratching>Yup. Good.

OK, I make no secret about my checkered past - I lost 3 kids, the first 2 when I was fairly young, the last back in 1996. This is specifically about Kid the Second.

I was *5* months along, and I started getting worried because the movements *stopped* so I call my OB and he gets me in to the hospital that he was associated with, a Catholic hospital. They do all sorts of things to check, and the sprog is dead and I am having health issues directly related to going septic on top of the preeclampsia that I have been plagued with [ok, on top of the gestational diabetes. My body really dislikes being pregnant and shows it.]

So Doc Dave tries to arrange a theraputic abortion. The hospital refuses. He argues again, they refuse. So my body does the fair thing, goes into labor and expels the dead kid. This wipes out my kidneys, so I end up very very ill. I drop from 135 to 92 pounds in under a week - I look like someone from that place with the sign Arbeit Mach Frei.

He wants to go in and tie my tubes because a third go around will kill me. Nope, no way, this is a *catholic* hospital. He points out that firstly, I am not Catholic, and secondly another pregnancy will probably kill me. They still refuse. On top of this, the bitches on the floor let a bunch of jackasses into my room to lecture me about the evils of abortion [since that is what my charts have on them, even though it didn't actually occur.] Doc Dave is pretty seriously pissed off by now, so he moves me over to Strong Memorial, moves his entire practice over, and I get a tubal ligation.

[and why yes, I did mention I got pregnant a third time. Oops. The old style tubal was the loop over and rubber band type. The rubber band broke Shit happens.]

Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 AM

I don't get it. Why would a Catholic hospital object to removing a fetus that's already dead?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYHYBT View Post
I don't get it. Why would a Catholic hospital object to removing a fetus that's already dead?
There was still a heartbeat. While it wasn't dead, however, there was pretty much no chance of it being viable--it was going to die no matter what.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM

I was technically a living abortion being born 12 weeks early. It's just they were able to keep me alive even tho one nurse had to be kept away from Mom and I because of some stupid notion.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 AM
stressed broke pizza guy

An update

http://news.msn.com/world/irish-gove...ving-abortions

Irish lawmakers consider abortion for life saving purposes

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Some balding guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket_Man View Post
An update

http://news.msn.com/world/irish-gove...ving-abortions

Irish lawmakers consider abortion for life saving purposes
From what Static said earlier, it's apparently already legal if the mother is in jeapardy?

Rapscallion

Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 PM

it's in legal limbo, actually. Courts have said it's got to be legal in the case of mother's health, but the Oireachtas hasn't yet actualyl specifically amended the laws.