Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
And that scares some people to death, the idea they might be exposed to a different way of viewing faith.
No. What scares people is the notion that the schools are trying to instill their own personal views (be it politics, religion, etc) into students as if it's on par with say math or physics etc.

Interesting that you say "brainwashing" because that is also what some schools do to.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 PM
The Cure for All Ills

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperElf View Post
No. What scares people is the notion that the schools are trying to instill their own personal views (be it politics, religion, etc) into students as if it's on par with say math or physics etc.

Interesting that you say "brainwashing" because that is also what some schools do to.
Really? What schools? What personal views?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 PM

http://www.cracked.com/article_19283...nventions.html

I am just going to leave this here. *whistles innocently*
Smartass

Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 AM
The Cure for All Ills

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfaire View Post
http://www.cracked.com/article_19283...nventions.html

I am just going to leave this here. *whistles innocently*
We're talking about a humor magazine. Hardly an authoritative source.

The lotus posture (the one referred to in the article) is difficult to attain and requires a great deal of flexibility to perform comfortably. Try it: unless you are very fit and flexible you won't be able to do it (I can't and I do martial arts and stretch regularly).

Being able to get to poses like that is a process. There's more to yoga than just sitting comfortably, and the asanas (postures) are designed to enhance meditation. They take practice to master.

There are texts discussing these postures that date back to 500CE. They've been around awhile.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
We're talking about a humor magazine. Hardly an authoritative source.
Actually, having some experience with Cracked's editorial procedures ( <cough> ), you cannot write a list article on Cracked without reliable, verified sources. You're not even permitted to write the article until after you present a researched pitch that provides multiple verified sources. They don't accept any random website as a source either. You need legit sources they can follow up on before they even green light a rough draft.

Before you can write any ha ha, you have to basically submit a thesis -.-

Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Accepting of Differences

That doesn't mean they can't be wrong. I can't remember the article, but they had something that was on a topic I'm rather well-versed in that was not at all factual. Not all sources are created equal, and even good ones can have bad info.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andara Bledin View Post
That doesn't mean they can't be wrong. I can't remember the article, but they had something that was on a topic I'm rather well-versed in that was not at all factual. Not all sources are created equal, and even good ones can have bad info.
I'm not saying they're infallible. Just that you can't dismiss them just for being a comedy website. They dot their i's and cross their t's on research like anyone else.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Accepting of Differences

Anyone else is kind of a broad category. Fox News would be part of it, for example.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andara Bledin View Post
Anyone else is kind of a broad category. Fox News would be part of it, for example.
And what exactly? Are you literally going to do this in every single thread? Please let me know now so I can just stop bothering to respond. -.-

Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 AM

Cracked feels reasonably trustworthy, even if they're not perfect. (I'm still confused by one of their lists, the topic of which I don't remember, calling "The High snd the Mighty" a war movie.)