Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Good on ya New York!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Default Good on ya New York!

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/no...-1226705975182

So New York decided that apparently since terrorists MUST be Muslim, they have now been designating mosques as terrorist organisations so they can be watched.

Honestly, unless they're somehow communicating messages subliminally via Arabic, they're barking up the wrong damn tree.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM

New York, congratulations at your stellar assistance in recruiting terrorists. Why? Because terrorists already claim that the West is targeting Islam. You just gave them actual credible evidence to support their wild claims.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM
The Cure for All Ills

You would not believe how many people would actually be OK with this. I have several good friends, otherwise reasonable people, who firmly believe all Muslims are evil bastards waiting to wage jihad upon anyone who disagrees with them.

Many people don't know any Muslims, they just know what they see on TV and they think that's all there is to Islam. It's hard to convince them otherwise.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Behold! The Ultimate Pog!

I'll be honest; my biggest exposure to Islam was The 13th Warrior.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireheart17 View Post
So New York decided that apparently since terrorists MUST be Muslim, they have now been designating mosques as terrorist organisations so they can be watched.
Something I've never been able to figure out - was Timothy McVeigh a Sunni or a Shiite? How about the IRA? Maybe the government of New York knows.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 PM

Come on, people. Haven't you figured it out yet? ALL brown people are terrorists! DUH!

This actually isn't the first I've heard of this. A very similar story came out a few years ago.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
You would not believe how many people would actually be OK with this. I have several good friends, otherwise reasonable people, who firmly believe all Muslims are evil bastards waiting to wage jihad upon anyone who disagrees with them.

Many people don't know any Muslims, they just know what they see on TV and they think that's all there is to Islam. It's hard to convince them otherwise.
Several people I know have also claimed to have read a translation of the Qur'an and mentioned that supposedly the aim of Islam is "join or die". I pointed out to one of them when I was researching on this stuff for an essay at uni that generally jihad means "Struggle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Something I've never been able to figure out - was Timothy McVeigh a Sunni or a Shiite? How about the IRA? Maybe the government of New York knows.
Personally I was thinking of Columbine or Virginia Tech...get em young . (I do believe in both cases, it was psychologically motivated)

Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireheart17 View Post
Personally I was thinking of Columbine or Virginia Tech...get em young . (I do believe in both cases, it was psychologically motivated)
It's worth noting that MANY of the "spree shooters" from the past decade or so (including all three of the ones mentioned above - Harris, Klebold, and Cho - although it's worth noting that Harris may have been a genuine psychopath) were bullied loners. I personally feel that the way schools handle bullying (by treating the bullied party as equally culpable) to be horrid and counterproductive.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 PM

Most people who kill have that streak. It tends to be white kid loners because... well young white boys generally don't have a real cause.

That's the problem. Terrorists generally feel they do.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sadly, I have relatives who are of the opinion that Muslims in general are to blame for terrorists. That Muhuammad Baqir down the street is at fault for what is being done in Iran or Iraq or Syria.

I've tried to call them on it, but they can't seem to understand how it's the same as me blaming them, personally, for what the 'Reverend' Fred Nile, a nominally-Christian Australian politician, chooses to do.

(Or rather, that it's even worse - because at least my relatives are on the same land mass as Fred Nile. The hypothetical Baqir family would be halfway around the world from Al Queda.)