Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Rowan Clerk refuses Same Sex Marriage License
Old 08-28-2015, 05:11 PM

Default Rowan Clerk refuses Same Sex Marriage License

Citing her Christian beliefs as a reason.

I figured this kind of stuff would happen. If there's one thing I despise, it's those who think they're being brave warriors standing up for righteousness instead of the bigoted asswipes they really are.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM

It's not just you guys. Here in Canada, a bus driver is pre-emptively saying that he'll quit if he's the one asked to drive a rainbow-covered bus for Calgary's Pride celebrations.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Accepting of Differences

If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief, let me pass you on to the next clerk who will be happy to help you," I don't really have a problem with it. It's stupid, but people are allowed to be stupid.

If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief and because I'm the only one authorized to do this, it sucks to be you," they deserve to be fired for failure to perform their duties.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 PM

A) Thats not how the right to religious freedom works.
B) This woman has been married four times like any Good Christian(tm)
C) She's been ordered by the courts twice now. Arrest her for contempt already.

-.-

Old 08-28-2015, 06:32 PM

This is local news for me. The FB feed on this story via the local news is awful. The fact that pro-marriage sentiment out numbers the anti is wonderful, but the antis are so vitriolic, it's like a bad parody.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andara Bledin View Post
If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief, let me pass you on to the next clerk who will be happy to help you," I don't really have a problem with it. It's stupid, but people are allowed to be stupid.

If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief and because I'm the only one authorized to do this, it sucks to be you," they deserve to be fired for failure to perform their duties.
bingo. (with one caveat- if waiting for someone who would actually do it would cause significant delays, then the person whose beliefs interfere with their job needs to suck it up and do whatever it is ( issue the marriage license, whatever) anyway.)

Old 08-29-2015, 03:16 AM

What gets me is that issuing the marriage license affects her in no way, she is simply enabling what she perceives as a sin. Which, really, is no different from working as a cashier in a grocery store that sells condoms to minors, filing paperwork for a law office that specializes in divorces, or even taking orders for pizzas (as it is also a sin to mix meat and dairy- pepperoni, anyone?). She needs to either suck it up or find another job, as the world isn't going to change just for her.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragarthiel View Post
Which, really, is no different from working as a cashier in a grocery store that sells condoms to minors, filing paperwork for a law office that specializes in divorces, or even taking orders for pizzas (as it is also a sin to mix meat and dairy- pepperoni, anyone?).
Back when I was working at a drug store, we had a cashier who was Jehovah's Witness who asked not to sell cigarettes. He had a pin on his uniform stating this, and while we had to schedule things so that there was at least one other person to ring, it wasn't a huge problem. I wasn't sure why he couldn't ring cigarettes, but could, say, ring Christmas ornaments and other items he and other Jehovah's Witnesses were also against, but I didn't really ask him about it. He was appreciative of the store's consideration and was polite and respectful about it, too.

I think the thing I'm trying to say is, if you're able to find a job where the employer is able to accommodate your spiritual or religious obligations, even if the employer has to make special arrangements to do so, that's great, and I commend the employer for granting them. But employers shouldn't be required to accommodate anyone's special obligations, especially if doing so requires some extra consideration.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuckster View Post
But employers shouldn't be required to accommodate anyone's special obligations, especially if doing so requires some extra consideration.
Well, also a drug store is a private business. This moron is a government employee. Employers are obligated to accommodate certain employee obligations ( least, up here they are ) but that's within logical reason. Also, said obligation can't be one that utterly prevents you from doing your job.

This woman on the other hand, is basically saying something like she needs everything to be halaal but would still like to keep her job cooking bacon.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:28 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...?intcmp=hplnws

She's asking the Supreme Court for "asylum for her conscience".

I have no words.