Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldarson View Post
"asylum for her conscience"
Does that sound to anyone else like "I feel guilty about this, am I allowed to not feel guilty anymore?"

Old 08-30-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldarson View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...?intcmp=hplnws

She's asking the Supreme Court for "asylum for her conscience".

I have no words.
In front of Kegan? Good luck to her. =p

Also, whats with people like this and not understanding how the First Amendment works? Its not a carte blanche to do whatever the fuck you want because you said "Jesus". Nor does it shield you from the consequences of your stupidity.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM

I'll at least give her minor credit that she stopped issuing all licenses rather than issue a same sex marriage license, from what the article says, but she's STILL being unreasonable. ( the conditions of her job have changed- if she feels that she can no longer do her job in good conscience, the remedy for that is to resign her job, and to find another job, NOT to only do the parts of her job her conscience allows her to do.)

Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM

And an interesting turn of events: http://www.wowktv.com/story/29919005...e-sex-marriage

Old 08-31-2015, 04:37 PM

I'm guessing that she's continuing to fight rather than resigning because they are hoping for a win to set legal precedence for people being able to discriminate in the name of religion.

While to some extent I get the argument about people being able to pass off the marriage licenses to someone else who's working there, I have trouble agreeing with it when you look at the big picture. A lot of people used the same arguments against interracial marriage. Looking back, should people have been able to use their religion to refuse to issue licenses to interracial couples? http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...gious-Beliefs# Once we start allowing discrimination of protected classes due to religion, it opens things up to problems.

I was looking through stuff about that online and came across all the lovely people who are trying to claim there are no correlations because there's no religious argument against interracial marriage. That's funny because there actually was. And there are others who are trying to claim that it's different because race is protected in the constitution but gays aren't. Well race wasn't originally a protected class either so that's fairly irrelevant as well.

Last edited by Shangri-laschild; 08-31-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM

While I am uncomfortable with "da gubmint" forcing someone to do something against their religious beliefs, if you work for a government entity, either suck it up and do your job or quit. It's that simple.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster91 View Post
While I am uncomfortable with "da gubmint" forcing someone to do something against their religious beliefs, if you work for a government entity, either suck it up and do your job or quit. It's that simple.
Furthermore, she's an elected official. Which means she actively ran for government office in a secular government whose very foundation is the separation of church and state. >.>

Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andara Bledin View Post
If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief, let me pass you on to the next clerk who will be happy to help you," I don't really have a problem with it. It's stupid, but people are allowed to be stupid.

If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief and because I'm the only one authorized to do this, it sucks to be you," they deserve to be fired for failure to perform their duties.

Fun fact, that's EXACTLY what the rules are over here when it comes with same-sex CHURCH weddings (same-sex civil unions have been legal here since 1989).

A priest is rightfully entitled to deny to perform a same-sex wedding due to religious beliefs. But in that case, he or she IS OBLIGATED to refer to another priest that would be more than happy to perform the ceremony.

Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-31-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andara Bledin View Post
If the person says, "I'm sorry, I can't do this because of $belief, let me pass you on to the next clerk who will be happy to help you," I don't really have a problem with it. It's stupid, but people are allowed to be stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-laschild View Post
While to some extent I get the argument about people being able to pass off the marriage licenses to someone else who's working there, I have trouble agreeing with it when you look at the big picture.
Every time I see that suggestion, I can only think of this scene: https://www.simpsonsworld.com/video/...e/294786627843

My bigger concern would be the offices where Pam says she can't because it's against her beliefs, so go ask Sandy, but it's against her beliefs, so go ask Mary, but it's against her beliefs... Sorry you had to wait in line five times, but looks like it's against the beliefs of the whole office! Try the next county over.
"The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." Philip Zimbardo
TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 AM

And Supreme Court has denied her request for a stay: http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/R...vice=phone&c=y