Go Back   Fratching! > General > Church and State

Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 AM

The reason Walker wants the wall is so that when he gets elected President, he'll have a wall to the north and a wall to the south and when he tries to push through legislation by slamming it down people's throats, it will make it harder for the Democratic members of Congress to slip over the boarder so they can make it impossible to hold a vote since not enough members of Congress are actually available to vote.

He has to pull away from that idea because he certainly doesn't like to share with the citizens he claims to represent.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herebecause View Post
The reason Walker wants the wall is so that when he gets elected President, he'll have a wall to the north and a wall to the south and when he tries to push through legislation by slamming it down people's throats, it will make it harder for the Democratic members of Congress to slip over the boarder so they can make it impossible to hold a vote since not enough members of Congress are actually available to vote.

He has to pull away from that idea because he certainly doesn't like to share with the citizens he claims to represent.
wouldn't work. (as in, the wall wouldn't work to prevent quorum) Quorum is when enough congressmen are present IN THE CHAMBER. Technically, assuming congressmen have offices in the actual building, they could all be in those and it would STILL prevent a vote. ( indeed, if you can PROVE a vote was taken in the absence fo quorum, said vote can be overturned.)

Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 AM

I've had several friends in Canada talk about walling off Quebec, but leave it to a blowhard American senator to go above and beyond. Plus, I'm pretty sure said friends were (mostly) kidding.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:26 PM

Well there is the old joke about Newfies supporting Quebec separation because it will cut down on the driving time to Toronto. But yeah, we mostly kid about walling off Quebec.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
Asked in an interview on NBC if he wanted to build a wall on the Canadian border, the Wisconsin governor cited his experience talking to voters “including some law enforcement folks” in New Hampshire, an early voting state in the Republican primaries. Such people, he said, were concerned about terrorists potentially crossing over from Canada.
Um, yeah, Canada doesn't like terrorists any more than the USA does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
However, concerns about the border with Canada, a country that has witnessed two attacks by Islamist terrorists in the past year, have so far gone unaddressed.
I would think a better anti-terrorist initiative would be to work with Canada, rather than wall them off and say everybody's on their own.

Canada is one of our best friends in the world. I really don't want to anger them, and I can't understand why the GOP does.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:14 PM

Forgot to mention: If they wall off Canada, better hope the Russians don't get frisky. After all, the Pine Tree Line won't give enough warning to do anything. Note that there are 2 other lines further out than the PTL (DEW line, and Mid-Canada line), but as the name for one of them implies, they're on Canadian soil, so if the wall goes up U.S. personnel will be "invited" to leave the facilities.

Also, trace out the "great circle" routes from Europe to North America - U.S. based airlines would be at a competitive disadvantage if they had to stay out of Canadian airspace (and service from Washington to Alaska would be crippled). Sure Canada would have longer routes for transcontinental flights, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as what the U.S. would face.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCashier View Post
Canada is one of our best friends in the world. I really don't want to anger them, and I can't understand why the GOP does.
Pssh, come now, its not like its literally the deepest alliance between two countries in modern history or anything. I mean, clearly if there's any threat to the US its obviously from the US's greatest ally on the planet. -.-

Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravekeeper View Post
Pssh, come now, its not like its literally the deepest alliance between two countries in modern history or anything. I mean, clearly if there's any threat to the US its obviously from the US's greatest ally on the planet. -.-
Britain gave us Dr Who and Sherlock. Canada gave us....Justin Bieber. Maybe he wants a wall so we don't get any more Biebers.

Seriously, though, guy's a wackaloon.