Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

Conspiracy corona idiots
Old 05-09-2020, 02:11 AM

Default Conspiracy corona idiots

I'm SO over these people who insist that the corona virus is fake, that it's a plot against people to gain control, and that the lockdowns and masks and such aren't necessary. That is the most delusional ideology ever.

The virus is very real, and we need to keep our butts at HOME for possibly months longer. No you can't go get your haircut or nails done or eat in a restaurant because if you do we are going to get a second wave that was even worse that the first, and I don't want us to get sick dammit.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Apathetic Atheist

But don't you know that COVID-19 is no worse than seasonal flu?

I can only hope that this pandemic normalizes the wearing of masks for people have to go out in public while sick. Seems unlikely, though, with what I've seen myself. Less than half of people wearing masks while grocery shopping.

ETA: I just overheard a coworker say "I'm going to visit my grandson this weekend and give him a hug, but I think I'll wear a facemask while I do it." :facepalm: You're going to drive over an hour to give your grandson a hug, and completely miss the point. The facemask won't help if you're just going to touch him. Either of you could be an asymptomatic carrier. You've already talked about how concerned you are about your grandson during the pandemic, since he's immunocompromised. WTF is wrong with you?

Last edited by Ghel; 05-14-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:28 AM

I'm sick to death of those people and the ones who may or may not think it's real but are clamoring for re-opening. It's a harsh truth, but most Americans aren't prepared financially for something like this and while some of them just aren't able to save, I'm sure there are many who are but live beyond their means. I'm not against personally sacrificing to help people who couldn't be prepared and even those who could have and are facing some truths right now, but going forward I hope we can all make a change in that direction. I'm of the opinion that you do what you have to. I only have one person in my household bringing home the bacon so I have two jobs. When I wasn't willing to do that I wouldn't have survived this except for the kindness of friends. I suspect some of the people who are now stuck are lying to themselves about the virus so they don't have to take responsibility. Some people are stuck through no fault of their own and I am not unsympathetic. But some need to work harder to be solution-oriented and find a way to deal with this without pushing for re-opening and a second wave. Any way you look at it, it's complicated, but blaming it on the elite or aliens or a hoax or whatever doesn't solve anything. I think deep down they don't really believe those theories.